Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
reedskis
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if anyone has run the Gila (Middle Box) lately or knows how it is at the current level. Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Usually over by April.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I believe it has enough water to float/scrape down but that's it. No whitewater. Might work if you just want to get wet and enjoy the scenery. I would get a visual on flows before driving far for it though. I wanna say a found a gauge for it once. If I find it, I'll let you know.

COUNT

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
hey completely OT, but nice write up on EddyFlower for the Snake, COUNT! i was always curious what that stretch was like and that nailed it.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Ouch, 65cfs on the Gila is too low for even my standards. Pray for rain. Thanks, Yeti. It's a fun stretch.

COUNT

·
Registered
25 Posts
it usually has a few good flows during the monsoon season, (july/ august) but it usually only up for two or three days at a time - you have to watch the weather forecast and then the gauge and be ready to go -
september october and most likely november are also possibilities because it often rains there while it is snowing farther north - the biggest I have done the san fran which is in the same area was 14000 cfs in november -

the lowest I have been down the middle box is about 400 cfs and it was fun but I wouldnt drive too far for that level unless you just want to see the canyon -
the shuttle is very long even if you use the dirt road option
some locals run it in duckys down around 60 cfs but I wouldnt dream of taking a hard boat down at that level

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
what is boating like in the San Fran area? theres lots of gradient and water in there, theres gotta be some good runs there....on the road from Morenci to Alpine theres just countless drainages, what it like in there?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Manky, narrow and fun. There are quite a few side streams that have potential, but they only have water every "decade storm" i.e. 2005 But you never can predict that rainfall. Look for it in sep. like mentioned above. There is a siko drop on whitewater creek, tributary of the San Fran, that we recently just nabbed first d on. If you want some more beta, PM me and i'll shoot over what i've got.

Cody

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
well its looks like theres a new uncharted wildness out there for boating after all...

is that sicko drop the one on the mystery creek on huckinhuge.com? that canyon is SICK! granite kicks ass

·
Registered
190 Posts
naw, that "siko drop" is on Whitewater Creek....the mystery creek (on huckinhuge) , well its just plain amazing...just sucks shit that it's going to have to stay that way. I really wish it could change.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
oh sick. yeah, private property issues are intense, especially in a situation like that. bombing through some asshole rancher who doesnt like boaters fields to get to the water is one thing, but breaking into a sacred spiritual place for a whole people.....two thumbs up for keeping it under wraps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
yetigonecrazy

yetigonecrazy,
hey this is mike (author of write up for said gorge) and i just wanted to say thanks for giving a thumbs up on keeping it under wraps. seems like most of the people i run into these days would complain about us not giving up the location. so i just wanted to say thanks for noting why we kept this one under wraps. :)

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
boaters have a lot of special places already that are boater-only accessible, even just in AZ, let alone the rest of the rockies, so why do we absolutely need one more? im all about the exploration of new runs, but if it's in a situation like that, then no. bottom line: leave it be. sick photos though! thats a big drop!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts