Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vendor
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Gila River in New Mexico holds a hidden gem of a wilderness paddle and is the last wild river in New Mexico. A project to dam and drain the headwaters of the Gila was recently approved by the Interstate Stream Commission and now the Governor Susana Martinez has only two weeks left to make a decision on this proposed Gila River Diversion. You can help by contacting the Governor TODAY, and signing the petition.

You can help save the Gila!
Contact Governor Susana Martinez and tell her that building the Gila River Diversion is a bad idea, and that the Gila River needs to be protected, for people, wildlife, recreation, and future generations.
Office of the Governor

490 Old Santa Fe Trail, Room 400

Santa Fe, NM 87501

505-476-2200

For more info and tips on talking points please visit the AW article here.

You can also petition Governor Martinez to Protect the Gila, and say No to the Diversion, by signing on here:

To learn more about the AWRA, the Gila River Diversion, and our local conservation partners, visit the Gila Conservation Coalition. 

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Become and AW Member as a present to yourself!

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
Done. Thanks for getting this out here, Evan!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The bottom of the petition says it is targeted for "New Mexico residents only". Will our message still be received if we are from out of state?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Signed

Signed.

This is one of the most senseless projects I've ever heard of. There is no feasible way to obtain any water from the proposed diversion at an affordable cost to would be customers, and possibly no way to obtain any usable water period.

The amount of water they want to try for wouldn't make any difference to the water situation in SouthWest New Mexico, and they want to tear up the Gila River Valley from Mogollon creek to Turkey creek to do it!

The fact that the idiots who have proposed this have not yet been run out of the state by an angry mob can only be explained by the fact that all of the planning was done in secret and they managed to keep the public uninformed.

If you're going to spend nearly a billion dollars and destroy beautiful wilderness you should at least have something to show for it, and in this case there's nothing.

·
Vendor
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My understanding is out of state messages will still be received.

·
Registered
11 Posts
fewer than 1/10th the views of a thread titled "Rabbits!!!" ... quite the mobilization.
and you couldn't ask for an easier way to make a small contribution toward free flowing rivers.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Signed.
I hope they see the value in out of state interest. This is why I never gripe (much) when rivers are crowded whether with floaters or fisherman. Sometimes the saying " use it or lose it" pertains to our rivers. Good luck.

Jim

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Thanks Even for keeping up on this. I did sign it and received a letter back from the CBD. I'm glad to see them behind this effort. They are a group that can hopefully put a stop to this stupid and distructive BS.

Come on fellow Buzzards.......let's get this thing done. :)

·
SarahofTheWaves
377 Posts
wake up! Do it.
SarahD

The online petition says it is "targeted" at New Mexico residents. Their inbox can be flooded anyway. Email addresses so not include your state of residence. Worth the effort.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Signed.
I hope they see the value in out of state interest. This is why I never gripe (much) when rivers are crowded whether with floaters or fisherman. Sometimes the saying " use it or lose it" pertains to our rivers. Good luck.

That is a good point.

Isn't the Gila home to a threatened or endangered species of native trout? Stuff like this typically doesn't bode well for stressed populations of fish!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts