Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been kayaking for awhile and I am now looking at adding a raft to the fleet. However, I am hitting a little hickup and having trouble convincing the wife. How did you pull it off? Any advice for me?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
don't start with the eagle, thats for sure. the upper colorado is a good beginer float and I would strongly recomend a friend or two to help coax her along the way. My wife knows me all too well to trust me, so i let my friends guide her and let her open up to it that way. we now have a good trust on the river, not to say we wont flip the raft or she will swim in her kayak, but it took the opinions of others to make it enjoyable. Don't push her, and be open to her thoughts even if you dont mind them.

I would gladly take you folks out on the rio this spring and let the woman talk, sometimes that is all it takes to build confidence. My wife now inspires others, i never thought i'd see the day. be patient and take 'er easy. groups work best, and we are all a little aprehensive at first.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Whatever it is, don't try to teach her yourself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just bring one home, it will work itself out one way or another! I have the perfect setup for you right here in Eagle. I will even give lessons and deliver the boat.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Good for kids.

It will be great to have if you ever plan on having kids.

Other than that Bob really nailed it. Find other couples to paddle with.

Take a raft trip with the wife (something low key and prestine); Eat along the river, have some beers, enjoy the entire trip(make sure she is never cold on the trip). Sell her on it by living it and not just explaining your desire to own a raft.

Rafting is not going anywhere. You can get into it at anytime, and you are not missing out on anything by waiting (days, weeks, months) to buy a raft. There's no rush. If you buy it on her terms than you'll share it for life. If you force it on her (just show up with one). It will always be the other women, and don't expect a bunch of fun river trips in the future.

Work it right and you will make it happen.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Maybe kayak a whole shit ton more. If you kayak all the time and you are never home then you can say to your wife, "Let's get a raft so we can be on the river together". If she really wants to be with you then the idea will sound great to her.

Or...

Take her kayaking and get her in over her head. Then say, "You know, rafting is a whole lot mellower. Maybe we should get a raft and do some desert floats."

I used a combo of these 2 methods and it worked great.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Maybe kayak a whole shit ton more. If you kayak all the time and you are never home then you can say to your wife, "Let's get a raft so we can be on the river together". If she really wants to be with you then the idea will sound great to her.

Or...

Take her kayaking and get her in over her head. Then say, "You know, rafting is a whole lot mellower. Maybe we should get a raft and do some desert floats."

I used a combo of these 2 methods and it worked great.
Ditto.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've been kayaking for awhile and I am now looking at adding a raft to the fleet. However, I am hitting a little hickup and having trouble convincing the wife. How did you pull it off? Any advice for me?
We both kayaked, then we got a labrador, convinced her that the raft was for the dog....also don't forget that she can sip box chardonnay while sight seeing and camping in the best Colorado and the West has to offer....

·
Super Moderator
3,965 Posts
I think #8 could be a good way to accomplish #2.

Whatever it is, don't try to teach her yourself.
Tritto

Other useful things:

"Honey, rafting is like being able to go car camping in the wilderness."
Drysuit, neoprene gloves, booteies, helmet liner
Layover days
Margaritas
Gourmet food served in camp
Bring a thermos of hot tea along on all trips other than summer in the desert
Hot moist facecloths in the morning
Campfires with hot chocolate, smores, romance
Paco Pads
More connection time with yo Hunny

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Wow, sausage fest here I see.

From a woman's point of view I'd say take her on a guided easy trip like the upper C or somewhere that she will definitely NOT swim on her first trip and something that is not roadside. What you need to do is gain her trust so she doesn't think that this will be a horrible investment that she will hate.

If she likes the raft trip and the general vibe of floating down a river you will most likely have a rafting partner for life. If she doesn't like it, well, you're screwed.

I agree with Andy, you can have a high quality relaxing time camping out of a raft so if she's a car camper you'll probably have an easier time convincing her.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What are you really wanting from her?
If your wanted a pretty boat ornament...i mean who doesn't right. That just takes some clever bargaining or Do you want a CO-pilot that can take a raft down a few rapids while your fishing off the deck.

Agreed Pay someone else to teacher her (guide school or swiftwater Rescue perhaps)...cause what ever you say is the worst idea but someone else, It's genius in their eyes. Try some big multi-day trips perhaps with kids around. Show her the future of "our" family and see what she thinks. At her own pace...agreed

·
Registered
394 Posts
The one time I had a girlfriend back in the eighties I loved the outdoor stuff we DIDN"T do together.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What are you really wanting from her?
If your wanted a pretty boat ornament...i mean who doesn't right. That just takes some clever bargaining or Do you want a CO-pilot that can take a raft down a few rapids while your fishing off the deck.
Perfect reply. Talk to her and be honest, playing games is lame. Discuss the possibilities.

I do both, but love the captain's seat MUCH more. And my husband loves tossing his gear on the raft and staying in his kayak. The other cool thing about your own raft is not having to ask anyone about what you can bring...I'm pretty good at adding extra "bricks" to my drybag, but I'm the one who has to move them around.

Andy, your warm facecloth idea is AWESOME! Gotta say I loved waking up to that, especially when there was snow on the tent.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I did a summer Ruby/Horsethief trip with my wife and some really good friends, and she loved it and gave me the green light to buy a raft. More Ruby/Horsethief trips and a Deso trip and she was hooked.

Then we did an October Westwater trip, and she froze and was scared. It took another summer of warm trips to get past that trauma. Last year we did the Grand Canyon and Cataract together, and now she probably likes it even more than I do. Start easy and in good conditions with good friends and it'll probably just all work itself out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts