Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I have been using an Intex Mariner 4 the past years for some really easy streams here in Northern Sweden and it has held up rather well. Sure it is more a toy and there has been a few small holes in the flotation chambers but I have only pumped it now and then and repaired it when I got home.

But the bottom tears quite easily when it is dragged over the rocks in these shallow streams and one has to start bailing after a while.

Ideally I would like to have a "real" raft from Aire or Maravia but these are not sold here and also cost quite a bit more money. I know, you get what you pay for...

But I have recently found a Swedish company that sells inflatable rafts made in Georgia called "Bark" and they seems to cost just over twice what the Intex cost which is inline with what I could consider paying for something that I only use once or twice a year. And twice the price compared to the Intex so in theory it could be a bit better...

Anyone here heard of "Bark"...?

When comparing the specs it weighs about the same as the Intex, and strangely enough an Aire of similar size also weighs around 70 lbs...(!)

I am enclosing a picture of me (and my dog) plus another photo of a typical stream I go down stream on (no actual "white water rapids" as you can see).

Thanks a lot in advance!
/Rikard

Attachments

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Greetings Rikard!

Sorry I have not heard of Bark, but if it gets you on the water...it gets you on the water!

I assume that the rafting industry is quite small in Sweden? Can you get Russian rafts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greetings Rikard!

Sorry I have not heard of Bark, but if it gets you on the water...it gets you on the water!

I assume that the rafting industry is quite small in Sweden? Can you get Russian rafts?
Yes, there is not much happening in this field here, there are some people doing trips with paying guests. I have seen russian rubber dingies here to be used with outboard engines but not whitewater rafts...

/Rikard

·
Never enough free time
350 Posts
Before buying a new boat of unknown quality, you could try coating the bottom of your existing raft. Just make sure the surface is very clean and that the coating is compatible with your material.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Looks like you are running pretty small sized rafts. You given any thought to moving over to a quality inflatable kayak like a Aire Lynx II? Outdoorplay has them 10% off time to time @ $1530. Not a raft but at least a river worthy, non pool toy build quality.

Edit: or a Aire Tomcat tandem. Those things kick some ass and are durable too for half the price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts