Mountain Buzz banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Ash vs fir?
Lite vs whitewater?
10’ or 10.5’?
I personally think the difference of 6 in is not all that great in oar length, it's pretty much a matter of personal like or dislike. I guess the rule of thumb is, you can always make things shorter if you have to, but it's hard to make things longer... Most of my friends row oars that are even in feet, that being said the oars that MT4runner built for me we made 11-6 long, thinking if they were too long we could always cut them down. they are still 11-6 long, and still the sweetest rowing oars I have ever had the pleasure to row

Ash/fir laminated blades give you the best of both woods, as I said before I'm not a big fan of plastic or composite blades, I love the way Wood bites the water

Reactions: MT4Runner

·
westernCOboater
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Ash vs fir?
Lite vs whitewater?
10’ or 10.5’?
I personally think the difference of 6 in is not all that great in oar length, it's pretty much a matter of personal like or dislike. I guess the rule of thumb is, you can always make things shorter if you have to, but it's hard to make things longer... Most of my friends row oars that are even in feet, that being said the oars that MT4runner built for me we made 11-6 long, thinking if they were too long we could always cut them down. they are still 11-6 long, and still the sweetest rowing oars I have ever had the pleasure to row

Ash/fir laminated blades give you the best of both woods, as I said before I'm not a big fan of plastic or composite blades, I love the way Wood bites the water
i like the idea of trying a wood only oar, organic only. MT4runner can make me an oar equal or better than Sawyer for a comparable price?

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
i like the idea of trying a wood only oar, organic only. MT4runner can make me an oar equal or better than Sawyer for a comparable price?
Yes sir, he absolutely can, he does absolutely wonderful work. the ones he made for me are not only sweet to row, they are true works of art, inlaid black maple on the square tops for example.

I would send him a private message and open up a line of conversation, he's not shy..

·
westernCOboater
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Yes sir, he absolutely can, he does absolutely wonderful work. the ones he made for me are not only sweet to row, they are true works of art, inlaid black maple on the square tops for example.

I would send him a private message and open up a line of conversation, he's not shy..
Thx, I will send him a message.

For the first time I have to store the raft outside. I got an Over It cover but now I’m looking for guidelines/suggestions for strapping it down. I keep the raft on a trailer. Is there a thread?

·
Registered
844 Posts
These are the best Sawyer makes:

Not saying anything against the square tops! or Mr4's!

How far apart are your oarlocks?

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Thx, I will send him a message.

For the first time I have to store the raft outside. I got an Over It cover but now I’m looking for guidelines/suggestions for strapping it down. I keep the raft on a trailer. Is there a thread?
You can search, but I'm not sure there's a dedicated thread for raft covers. I personally don't like the over it covers as they are a little more than a sun shade tarp, and allow water through, which can allow mold to grow in the wet dark space underneath the cover. not to mention all of your gear gets wet every time it rains, and if you leave it outside in the winter it allows snow to melt and refreeze inside your boat

I much prefer Whitewater designs offerings, they come with all matter of attached straps to secure the cover, which is not mesh, it's a solid piece of fabric. I can get mine pretty darn taught, which allows it to shed water. I also spray it with 303 once a year, I'm not sure if it actually does anything but it makes me feel good to do it LOL

·
westernCOboater
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·

According to Zach's formula: Tower width x 1.63, you'd be just over 10'
If it were me, I'd get longer oars, because they can always be cut down, if they're too long.
I do have counterbalanced oars.
I row sitting on a cooler that is pretty high up. I could probably use some schooling on oar lock positioning. Ive tried a couple different angles and ended up pretty vertical (straight up) on angle. I do like my oar handles pretty close together like Zach says.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I do have counterbalanced oars.
I row sitting on a cooler that is pretty high up. I could probably use some schooling on oar lock positioning. Ive tried a couple different angles and ended up pretty vertical (straight up) on angle. I do like my oar handles pretty close together like Zach says.
yeah, coolers and high seats will push you about 6" longer. Shoot for 10-3 or 10-6 maybe?

Zach's formula is WAY better than the NRS 1/3:2/3 rule, but it also depends on rowing style and oar balance.
1/3:2/3 makes better sense for old heavy Carlisles with no good mass above the oarlock and heavy blades.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You don't really say what you are specifically trying to alleviate as your body breaks down. Is it at the ramps you have problems? Loading/unloading at camps? Flat water stretches?
I'm 59, 6'0" and 150lbs, and prone to over extending myself. First, make sure you have a passenger who can do stuff on the raft. The passenger can row the easier moving or white water. Step in on the harder stuff.
Bring lots of 15-35 yo buff folks on your trips. Tell them you are old and will need lots of help, and require they help (or provide incentive). And don't jump in too much. Don't do too much! You'll have to be less of a control freak. Delegate well and you'll never have to carry something heavy.
Lots of good advice here on wood oars and switching to cats. And exercising and getting a nice raft trailer. Don't go small on the raft, the weight difference and maneuverability is negligible all things considering. Technique is what really counts. Muscling it will hurt in the long run.
Make sure you lube your oar locks, maybe counter balance your oars, take ibuprofen regularly.
Row easier! Start your moves early. Get more light strokes in rather than few harder strokes.
My 2 cents. Your mileage varies. Take it or leave it.
Craig

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bring lots of 15-35 yo buff folks on your trips. Tell them you are old and will need lots of help, and require they help (or provide incentive). And don't jump in too much. Don't do too much! You'll have to be less of a control freak.
There's definitely a great role for senior boaters with younger groups. Bring some decent booze, some river wisdom, and some good stories and you'll always be a great addition with a younger group. Hopefully the youngs realize they'll be in the same boat one day.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
There's definitely a great role for senior boaters with younger groups. Bring some decent booze, some river wisdom, and some good stories and you'll always be a great addition with a younger group. Hopefully the youngs realize they'll be in the same boat one day.
I have a regular boating buddy in his late 50's and another in his late 60's. Amen to all this.
When it's not just about sending it hard, there becomes an even greater value in what people bring to the campfire...and the little tips and tricks and rigging and boating insight they've acquired along the way.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts