Mountain Buzz banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Back to the task at hand... Thinking on this I can only come up with a 3 boat solution. 12' round boat for paddling/creeking and 1-2 on light multis. A 14' play cat for solo ww. A 16' round boat- no explanation needed. Emphasize importance of low and rollered trailer. This may punch all my tickets
I'll counter with:
12'8 Legend cat for the gnar and solo trips (I don't paddle)
13' round boat(day frame) for day trips with peeple.
16' for multidays
20' sweep for excursions.

Oh, and a dory or two.

·
westernCOboater
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Before I’d give a recommendation will need more info. How many passengers, what’s your camp setup like (minimal or the kitchen sink), how many days is your typical trip. A 16’ NRS is a pretty big boat and not typically the most nimble, but can carry a huge load.
Have you thought about your oars first? I noticed a huge difference in my bigger boat when I got some more body friendly and financially punishing oars.
I use Cataract counter balanced 10’ oars—open oar style.

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
I use Cataract counter balanced 10’ oars—open oar style.
You might look at Sawyers, oars are definitely in the "you get what you pay for" realm. The nicest oars I own, sweetest rowing, were made by @MT4Runner. Totally worth the investment. Wood rows so much nicer, and lighter, than plastic.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I don't have my boat handy to measure the distance between the oarlocks, but it made a world of difference when I went from 10' to 10'6" oars.
Of course, the oars themselves were a tremendous upgrade. Not just the extra length.
Went from counterbalanced Sawyer MXG's to Smoker(Sawyer) solid ash dynalite's.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Wood is way gooder on your body. Fewer and fewer aging oarsmen are still rowing with Cataracts or MXG's
I don't care if they're mine, Sawyer's, Seam's, Smokers, Songbirds....(damn, they all start with an "S"!) but if you haven't rowed wood oars, try them.

Or maybe it's just that old boaters can now afford nice wood oars and have the time to give them periodic TLC.

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Wood is way gooder on your body. Fewer and fewer aging oarsmen are still rowing with Cataracts or MXG's
I don't care if they're mine, Sawyer's, Seam's, Smokers, Songbirds....(damn, they all start with an "S"!) but if you haven't rowed wood oars, try them.

Or maybe it's just that old boaters can now afford nice wood oars and have the time to give them periodic TLC.
Ii agree, there's a distinct difference, in a good way. I have Sawyer MX-FG's and they row much better with the ash / fir blades than they do with the dynalites that I changed out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’m going up from a 14 to a 16, but I still have 1-3 kids with me that aren’t always in duckies.

When I was younger and my Dad and step-Mom got into their upper 50’s, they downsized to 11/12 foot rafts, and I got to row the 14-foot gear boat.

So the ideal solution is to go small and then get someone else to haul the gear…😉

·
westernCOboater
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Ii agree, there's a distinct difference, in a good way. I have Sawyer MX-FG's and they row much better with the ash / fir blades than they do with the dynalites that I changed out.
You like the dynamites or not. Not sure what you are saying here.
I’m going up from a 14 to a 16, but I still have 1-3 kids with me that aren’t always in duckies.

When I was younger and my Dad and step-Mom got into their upper 50’s, they downsized to 11/12 foot rafts, and I got to row the 14-foot gear boat.

So the ideal solution is to go small and then get someone else to haul the gear…😉
sounds good. Or I’ll just let my 19 year old son row while I snooze on the Paco!

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
You like the dynamites or not. Not sure what you are saying here.
The dynalites are fine blades, but I much prefer the ash \ fir wood blades, they bite the water differently, strokes are smoother with little to no cavitation, which is easier on my upper body.

·
westernCOboater
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The dynalites are fine blades, but I much prefer the ash \ fir wood blades, they bite the water differently, strokes are smoother with little to no cavitation, which is easier on my upper body.
Thx for the input. I’m going to look into the Sawyers. What is the exact model you recommend? So many oars on their site!

·
westernCOboater
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Thx for the input. I’m going to look into the Sawyers. What is the exact model you recommend? So many oars on their site!
It's really hard to go wrong with the square tops, if you like regular composite shafts the MX SG are the ones I prefer, they feel the most like wood to me. In my opinion, it's really hard to go wrong with anything from Sawyer, if I had to go buy oars tomorrow, I think I would lean towards the square tops, or the smokers..
SquareTop V-Lam Oar
Composite
MXS-G Oar Shaft

And if you're looking for a full wood oar, I prefer these

41 - 60 of 76 Posts