Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Got a 16’ NRS that’s starting to feel big and it’s getting a bit difficult to push down these sluggish western Colorado rivers, especially fully loaded. I don’t do a whole lot of whitewater anymore—never really did the big stuff. I’m comfortable with Deso, Glenwood Canyon & lower Roaring Fork, Upper C. Might do the Rogue again, Grande Rhonde, John Day, Deushutes. Ruby Horsethief, kinda sick of that one bits it’s in my backyard. Done Westwater a couple of times-not sure I want that high a risk quotient anymore.

Should I consider a smaller boat—say 14’ but keep some of the bigger tubes? What should I be looking at?
I have a 14' Avon Adventurer and it is a pretty nimble even fully loaded on MFS trips. I also just purchase the Aire 160dd to haul the whole family.

·
Registered
266 Posts
All this 14 and 16 talk. Why is 15 the red headed step child?
We have a 12' Otter and a 14xt and I'm starting to question the reasoning behind 2 foot increments. Thought about a 15 but not enough net gain in frame length or interior space. Sooooo, maybe 16' is the logical purchase. To OPs point we have a great trailer to load/unload heavy and at mid 50s still pretty able bodied

·
westernCOboater
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got a 16’ NRS that’s starting to feel big and it’s getting a bit difficult to push down these sluggish western Colorado rivers, especially fully loaded. I don’t do a whole lot of whitewater anymore—never really did the big stuff. I’m comfortable with Deso, Glenwood Canyon & lower Roaring Fork, Upper C. Might do the Rogue again, Grande Rhonde, John Day, Deushutes. Ruby Horsethief, kinda sick of that one bits it’s in my backyard. Done Westwater a couple of times-not sure I want that high a risk quotient anymore.

Should I consider a smaller boat—say 14’ but keep some of the bigger tubes? What should I be looking at?
[/QUOTE
You could run into the opposite effect. A smaller boat has less flotation then a larger boat and will drag more.
when loaded you mean? I can’t see that being true otherwise.

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
863 Posts
Keep the raft and upgrade your trailer.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Keep the raft and upgrade your trailer.
Winches are nice, but having a lower deck is a huge plus. I switched from a home modified utility trailer to a lower (8” lower than my old trailer) flat deck with a roller. Total game changer

I recently switched from a 14’ to a 16’…I pack about the same amount of stuff, but I don’t have to think nearly as hard about where everything goes.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Winches are nice, but having a lower deck is a huge plus. I switched from a home modified utility trailer to a lower (8” lower than my old trailer) flat deck with a roller. Total game changer

I recently switched from a 14’ to a 16’…I pack about the same amount of stuff, but I don’t have to think nearly as hard about where everything goes.
I have to second this. There’s a time and place for a taller trailer, but I love my low deck utility. Especially when the water isn’t deep at the ramp.

Reactions: MNichols

·
Einer
85 Posts
I started with an old Riken 14' Pioneer w/19" tubes and then upgraded to a used 14' NRS Expedition w/20" tubes for multi-day trips. I finally settled on a used 15' Avon Expedition w/21" tubes that is my sweet spot for multi-day trips. It rows like a 14' but has a noticeable difference in space for packing when I bring more gear like my kitchen, paco pads, etc.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I too take 12 dogs with me on the river
If I had 12 dogs, I would definitely try to take all 12 of them on the river, but I don't have 12 of them. For now, it's just me, my dog Grady, and my old lady. Grady loves camping on the river, but doesn't care so much for the whitewater. We took him down the Middle Fork Fork of the Salmon when he was just a baby puppy. He barked off a cantankerous black bear at Sheepeater. At Elk Bar he liked to run off, hunker down and hide in the Granite Boulders, wanted nothing to do with the cave. He was perfectly camouflaged against the pale batholith river cobble. At the other camps, he tended to dig a hole next to our tent then sleep in it. When we had a camp at a pit house site, a huge thunder storm came in on us. In the hail, rain and thunder Grady burrowed under a stack of gear bags where he was dry, then just took a very long nap. He's a smart dog, definitely an old soul for his age.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If I had 12 dogs, I would definitely try to take all 12 of them on the river, but I don't have 12 of them. For now, it's just me, my dog Grady, and my old lady. Grady loves camping on the river, but doesn't care so much for the whitewater. We took him down the Middle Fork Fork of the Salmon when he was just a baby puppy. He barked off a cantankerous black bear at Sheepeater. At Elk Bar he liked to run off, hunker down and hide in the Granite Boulders, wanted nothing to do with the cave. He was perfectly camouflaged against the pale batholith river cobble. At the other camps, he tended to dig a hole next to our tent then sleep in it. When we had a camp at a pit house site, a huge thunder storm came in on us. In the hail, rain and thunder Grady burrowed under a stack of gear bags where he was dry, then just took a very long nap. He's a smart dog, definitely an old soul for his age.

Maybe we need to start a river dog thread, so this one doesn't turn to into tamales....

21 - 40 of 76 Posts