Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am heading out on a trip to Ecuador next month to paddle. Does anyone have any experience traveling with their boat especially to South America? American Airlines said they would charge $100 both ways. Anyway to get that lowered at the counter? Packaging? Will it show-up and in one piece once you check it? Any information would help. Thanks in advance!

O

·
0 Posts
sell it

$100 isn´t a bad deal. do it one way then sell your boat down there.
sometimes they only charge $75 as they would for a surf board.
i don´t think the baggage handlers can break your boat.
be happy you´re flying with american.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It´s getting harder every year to get a boat down here. We have been denied on flying two boats down to Ecuador so far this year. Of course that was on the most evil Continental. The surfboard thing is getting harder to do since the luggage inspection is so strict at the airports. They xray or unwrap lots of weird looking stuff and then your left holding a kayak not a surfboard. BUT last year lots of people got them down cheaply. I don´t think there is a consistant trick that works to get them on cheaply. Just hope you are having good luck that day. American is the better way to go though. If you want to sell a baot down here let me know. Also if you get shut down we can rent you one.
Good Luck
Larry
Small World Adventures

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I have found out!

Got the bag and the paddle board tip from the guys at CKS. It does look like a surfboard in the bag. They are saying $35.00 each way under the small sufboard classification. The other recommendation is to have someone at the airport who can take it home if you get shot down. But all the specifications meet American's oversized baggage specifications. Will post when I get back. - - And Larry, I am on your trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts