Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
"That was a full Maytag circle jerk!"

I'm new to rowing but you'd better believe I'd come into a rapid named Maytag with some steam.

This hurt to watch why were they not able to grab a throw bag and get yanked out?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

I'm new to rowing but you'd better believe I'd come into a rapid named Maytag with some steam.

This hurt to watch why were they not able to grab a throw bag and get yanked out?
Its actually Tappan Falls on the Middle Fork... but Tappan certainly gave them a maytagging.

I'm sure they would have appreciated a throw bag or something...but people decided to watch from shore and make comments while shooting video rather then help the guys out.

I heard one guy had a couple of broken ribs.

The rapid has a REALLY easy setup with flatwater above, a big eddy to boat scout from on river right, and a fairly clear tongue to run down. The guys who got Maytagged even had a few boats to follow that did the correct line. Not sure why they went over there.

That said, on my last trip down we had a few guys go over that same spot, but they didn't get Maytagged. They definitely scared themselves though and it got kinda flippy but no carnage.

Edit: Watched the whole thing again after seeing it a year or two ago... looks like they followed the pink cataraft into the hole. I agree that attempts at getting a rope to them certainly was not as enthusiastic nor accurate as it could have been.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Remember when you see someone taking a beating...thats probably one less applicant for permits. Protect the resource, laugh at the beaters.

·
Registered
394 Posts

Its actually Tappan Falls on the Middle Fork... but Tappan certainly gave them a maytagging.
They definitely got the spin cycle. Would they have been able to punch through it if they came in with some momentum?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Piss poor throw bag skills......
Read and run gone wrong!

On the poor throw bag skills....yeah, pre-swim to the raft and post-swim to the swimmers. The best chance was the green raft tossing a bag while passing to their right early in that spin cycle - that could have salvaged the situation pretty quick and the toss was piss poor. My teenagers would have done better (I would hope, anyway).

In fairness I'm not convinced the 2 guys in the spin could have caught and secured a bag being tossed at the raft from shore. They looked spent at that point and resigned to a flip.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I am not familiar with this video

but am familiar with almost the same action way back in the late 90's

this was a experienced rafter along with his 12 or so year old son in the bow. A big Marivia 15 footer. Pretty much loaded.

I was there and at the time was of several ACA Swiftwater instructors on the trip and none of us got a throw rope out from either bank. And as been posted earlier, I doubt the rafters could have caught the rope if we had.

The dad had all he could do keeping the boat up right and was working the oars really well attempting to row out. The son was in the bow getting thrown all over and did good to hold on. This went on for a very long time maybe 15 minutes and every one was tired.

some how the big cooler got loose a bit and floated up plus on one of the spins the bow line bag opening came undone and the long bow line floated down well pass the bottom line of the hole. The oarsman had a burly long bow line and this turned out to be the factor that got the raft free.

I think the combo gave the oarsman a tiny chance to get loose one a spin and he gave it all he had on the oars and it came slowly out.

Bottom line. It is easier than one thinks to get caught in this hole. And getting out is really hard. If possible hug the river right chute no matter what. My opinion any one who can keep their raft upright in this keeper is a good on the oars and hi side routine.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mr. Dave, I'm glad to hear you say river right. I thought that might have been the line, but I'm not very good on the sticks so I wasn't sure. Still trying to figure it out and this kind of stuff helps.

·
Registered
429 Posts
So, bobbing in the Cache Bar eddy at the MF takeout last June, we started chatting with some Colorado boaters as we were waiting for all the sweep boats to clear the ridiculously small ramp. We start chatting about how our respective trips went and they bring up the Tappan Falls Maytag video and ask if I'd seen it. It cracked me up - for the record, that was my green boat that choked the one realistic chance at a throw bag rescue as we floated past. The lead boater in the tan cat and me running sweep were the only boaters that were on both the ill-fated 2013 "maytag" trip and last year's uneventful trip. Yes, we did scout it this time. The run is still on the right for anyone curious.

Funny how that video has taken on a life of its own. It really is the commentary that does it. I came across this video shot by the same crew at Rainey Falls on the Rogue (start at around 7 minutes for "the voice"). It was only one good pooch-screwing by the boaters floating by from becoming another instant whitewater classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrYCbccCq6M&list=PLBB462EB2C605E4AC&index=82&t=0s

·
Registered
798 Posts
That guy is the Johnny Mosley of whitewater commentary right there lol. He should hire out to do voice overs on boring rafting videos haha

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I will add that in the tappan falls incident I refereed to the raft in the hole was the last raft to run the drop.

we did eddy out and talk the line, but as often happens on rapids like Tappan Falls, something went wrong.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ok, I watched the video. Major surf job. I start putting myself in that raft and thinking about what ifs. How could I get myself the hell outa there. 1st thought throw your body out on the downriver side of the mess and hold on to the chicken line or frame or... and let your body act like a sea anchor in that down stream flow might pull the boat out... might not but then your swimming and your going to do that anyways right. Real gutty young man move and I'm turning 60 this year. Then I think grab a 5 gallon bucket and a flip line (which I carry in my pfd) snap that biner over the handle and throw that SOB in the downstream flow hunker down and hang on or dog it around the oar tower. Should pull you out right??? Dickin around with the oars doesn't do shit from the few videos I've watched, might as well ship em and not lose em. Would it work or am I just pissin in the wind?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I like the bucket idea. If the bucket doesn’t pull you out and the bucket stays attached to the handle, maybe the drag will slow the spin cycle enough you can figure out a Plan C.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Holy shit, I love this video, the commentary is funny as hell. I recently talked to a friend I hadn't seen in years and his wife said "intanse", I was like, are you referencing that worst maytag ever vid from the MFS and she was. We has a good laugh and exchanged our other favorite lines from the clip.
"Hey, quiet on the video!"

·
Registered
986 Posts
Good luck rigging the bucket rescue while you are high siding in that hole, even if it was easily accessed on what should be a very tightly rigged boat to start with. Throw lines are usually 75' long max, and accuracy is somewhat inversely proportionate to distance. It is hard to say if the wildly unpredictably moving target of a raft was within a reasonable toss from either bank anyway, nor that much could be done in the unlikely event of a bullseye throw within the first few minutes. The idea of just tying up your line to their bow as you go by and yanking them out? Um... no, that is a 25 mph difference between the good line and the line they took.

Those guys were in a pretty tough spot, and it's hard to say what the options really are until you are actually in that kind of predicament. It was quickly apparent there were only two possible results: Release or flip. I'd say the top priority is having a couple boats NOT tethered to shore ready to go get them as soon as the outcome was decided.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I totally agree with Dostep. I was the guy in the grey Riken. I stayed in my boat untied to the bank, because I knew I had to be ready when and if they flipped. I rescued the man who was in front of the boat getting banged up pretty bad. He had a couple of broken ribs and was totally exhausted when I saved him.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts