Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
The last time I went down the Grand it was mid summer. no way we were having a fire and had no dutch meals planned and we were required to take the fire pan anyway. I now have the pop up pit for just such an eventuality. the other fire pan is too heavy especially if I'm not even going to take it off the boat. Hell I don't like getting off the boat you can get hurt going to shore. ha ha, Cheers

I'd be interested in a stainless option- do you have an estimated price for that? And for a stainless GC sized option? Thanks!

Depending on several factors including the thickness of the metal stainless steel tends to warp more than the same thickness of carbon steel.

Stainless steels have greater thermal expansion and lower thermal conductivity than carbon steels. This is one of the reasons it is tricky to weld without distortion.

I have made a couple of stainless steel fire pans in the past and have found when heated they warp out of shape and won't return when cooled. I did do one with a stainless bottom and carbon steel sides that worked OK but had to leave a lot of room for the bottom to float and the bottom still buckled quite a bit.

I can see the way this pan is constructed having problems with the bottom warping out of shape enough to jam.

It would be an interesting experiment to see if stainless would work.

I'd be interested in a stainless option- do you have an estimated price for that? And for a stainless GC sized option? Thanks!

A stainless firepan and grill with the carrying bag would run $300. We don't have a price for the GC option yet as it does not exist. However, I would guess the cost might be around 15-20% more.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.