Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for the best Grand Canyon guide book that focuses a lot on side hikes. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
154 Posts
You probably want two. the River Maps guide is a great mile by mile river map, it's by tom martin and Duwain Whitis. It mentions hikes, but you want some more detail sometimes. Day Hikes From the River is the best one, by tom martin.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Check out the GCPBA yahoo group. Tons of boaters over there focused on the GC, and especially many that are rabid about hiking.

·
Registered
133 Posts
WEll, whether people do or do not like Tom Martin, his books and maps are alright. I did a crazy up and over to 206 a few years ago and the info he gave was good enough to get us there.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
A quite a few people who are rabidly anti-Tom Martin.
What's the beef with Tom? Because he wants to shut off the motors and let the people float? Because he wants the Grand Canyon to survive rafting? His maps are sweet and his mission is a good one!

·
Registered
614 Posts
In a simplistic way, you've got Tom right.

Within GCPBA, there are a few motor users, but the biggest source of conflict is that the GCPBA joined the Park and the outfitters on the current plan. Tom has been fighting for official Wilderness designation.

He has his own web page: www.rrfw.org and yahoo group:
Rafting_Grand_Canyon : Rafting Grand Canyon .

What's the beef with Tom? Because he wants to shut off the motors and let the people float? Because he wants the Grand Canyon to survive rafting? His maps are sweet and his mission is a good one!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Tom's accuracy and passion for the GC come through in his book works; they are the best. Tom does not need my help with his defense. His position is sound from where I stand. To the question: the Martin/Whitis guide book along with the Martin hike book are all you need for an accurate and complete water and trail adventure. Some of the other guide books offer differing perspectives to some of the rapids, trails and camps and are good additions to the library.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for keeping on track fdon. So its looking like tom's book on the GC is one of the good ones. He also does hiking books (river side hike specific?)?

·
Registered
312 Posts
The huge value of the Martin/Whitis GC guidebook is that its a current and almost a up to date guide of real-time conditions on the mighty CR...one could not ask for more. The hike book by Martin is a "river up" guide and was a huge help with my January hike schedule. No way I could of done all the hikes on my short schedule as he lays out in the book as his lifetime of experience. YP: My suggestion to you is to prepare for a dead of winter trip and throw all you have into that; We will all grow stronger from your tales of courage.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ill try my best (though typically not quite good enough). Thanks for the help.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Ben, you're welcome to borrow my Tom Martin guide book. It can be found submerged somewhere below Upset Rapid. If you need one before that I'd suggest a small, waterproof pouch with a zipper attached to your boat by your seat. It might keep you from littering like I did. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi,

Through his publications, Tom Martin has made a significant contribution to the hiking and boating segments of the GC community.

The lack of universal acceptance of his stance on commercial operations and motors should not detract from that fact.

Give the man his due.

Rich Phillips

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Ben,

You should also look into getting an inexpensive GPS. We got a simple black and white one for $75 on eBay and the odometer was dead on 95% of the time. That plus Tom's map is a sweet combo.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually have a GPS. Im just not sure how long the battery would last, its really old (relatively).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts