Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for info on the shuttle for the Gates of Ladore. We are coming from Durango.

-Companies that run the shuttle?

-Plane options?

-How long does it take if we drive it?

-Is there a dinosaur museum for the kids? Where is it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
806 Posts
River Runners are good people. Dino museum is at the take out (or rather nearby). Don't know of any plane strips near Lodore put-in, closest may be Maybell. Others who know more can chime in.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Used River Runners as well twice with good results. Haven't heard of plane options but bet it would be interesting and cool to fly back over.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Just like DT said. Never used anyone besides river runners. Don't know of a flight option like deso has. Hit the visitors center after you take out, great exhibit. It's about 140 miles each way, 50+ on a small 2 lane. Talking 6 hours rt. RR is a good idea for that one, Yampa is a much easier self shuttle.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
201 Posts
We've self shuttled it before and then paid river runners to bring down the return vehicle to reduce cost. Going back to the put-in would be way out of your way and totally worth paying to not have to. Also, depending on where you stay your last night, flows and wind conditions that last day can be long!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did a plane shuttle a couple of times back in the 90's with Dinaland Aviation out of Vernal. It was pretty crazy. They just landed on the county road a mile or so from the put in. The road seemed to have pretty limited sight distance where they landed, so they circled a couple of times to make sure no one was coming, landed, kicked you out the door and took off. Haven't heard of anyone doing it recently. Highly recommended if you can get someone to do it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
One more recommendation for river runners, the best shuttle company I have dealt with period

The nat park visitors center and display are worthwhile. The state park museum, run by a friend of mine from grad school, is also really good. It is on the main drag right across the street from the brew pub (which I also recommend).

Have fun

·
Registered
181 Posts
River Runners are great, they will do everything in thier power to make sure that things go as smothly as possible. We had a rig lose the fuel pump at the put in after we launched. Between them and our friends that could not make the trip with us they made sure we had a vehicle to get us on the road that night. Props to any one who will go the extra mile to help out us silly ol river folks. This will be my 14th trip through Lodore this next Friday and I have used River Runners all but one time. My brother did shuttle my truck once, and after that he said that would be the only one he ever does....lol.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Another huge upvote for River Runners.

Buddy had to abandon his truck on Sandwash (deso) front axle broke. he had cell service. Called them to see if they knew of a wrecker and shop. They said just leave it, we'll get it. They got it fixed back in Vernal and shuttled down to Green River, for the just the cost of repair. That is great service !

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Dinoland Aviation plane shuttle was a great way to go, we did that a few times. Beautiful flight over the river, Steamboat Rock, etc. Now we use RRT, many times. Always excellent service.

Many years ago the Park shut down the flight shuttle, said they needed a permit (to use the road as a landing strip?) which the Park wouldn't give to them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
And yet another vote for River Runners....price was fair, vehicle was well treated and waiting for us at the take-out. The road into the launch is MUCH improved from 15-20 years ago (due to increased gas extraction) so the drive in, while long, is not as brutal as in the past, i.e. multiple spares no longer recommended/required.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Shoot, minor end o day brain fart...midway through I started thinking deso and the roads...please excuse me, and I'll shut up now. Obviously low on Vitamin G&T!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I won't tell you what RRT did for me on my last trip, because it violated their own policies, but my truck was at the other end when I got there, it didn't have to be and it still was, and I mailed off a very nice tip the first thing after I got home.

They are just the default on my Deso and Lodore plans. I contact Melannie, give her my info, and my shuttle planning is done. I can think of several other rivers/trips that I wish they would cover.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I won't tell you what RRT did for me on my last trip, because it violated their own policies, but my truck was at the other end when I got there, it didn't have to be and it still was, and I mailed off a very nice tip the first thing after I got home.

They are just the default on my Deso and Lodore plans. I contact Melannie, give her my info, and my shuttle planning is done. I can think of several other rivers/trips that I wish they would cover.

They really are one of the top shuttle services out there (on any river period). I have a few great experiences where they went the extra mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts