Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been there recently? Earlier in the year I know that there was a pretty bad sand bar that had built up at the boat ramp, causing issues with launching boats. Does anybody know if it is still there? We have a late season trip coming up, and just trying to plan accordingly. Thank you for any beta in advance!

·
Registered
153 Posts
It was still there over Labor Day weekend. The ranger said they had no plans to do anything about it, so I assume it's still there. All launches (commercial and private) were carrying boats and gear - nobody tried driving to the river. It's maybe a 150 yard carry, so not too bad if you have lots of hands. There were also some ~2' diameter x 6' lengths of plastic culvert-type tubing that appeared to be used to roll rafts, but I didn't see anyone using them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh, and the ranger was super chill and friendly. I never met the prior ranger that was a stickler, but the guy who was there was decidedly NOT a hardass.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I launched last week. There is a very large sand bar in the way between the ramp and the river. However, there was this giant metal cart that had like 8 wheels and could transport a fully loaded raft across the sand with about 6 people pushing it. It was really pretty cool, glad to see money from fees going toward improving the sand situation. We called it the war rig (mad max). We were able to transport 4 rafts and all the gear across the sand bar in probably 30 minutes. I think the cart was fairly new from what the Ranger had said. Trucks without trailers were able to drive right to the water. Ranger was super cool.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Trucks with trailers would get stuck. The new cart is as big as a raft trailer. You can just slide your raft onto it at the bottom of the ramp and throw in gear and wheel it across the beach.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I haven't been there but I have towed a camper through plenty of sand. So I can't imagine my raft trailer causing much problem, from the looks of that picture. Is the sand really that fine?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
It was there last year at this time of year as well. My Ford F250 SD started digging about 20 feet out when I tried to back a trailer out there. My buddy Ken (Wildh2onriver on here) drove his Tacoma out with no problem. Maybe the sand is different this year, but I'd probably try driving out again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
this is the rig, we launched the day they brought it in. And of course we had just gotten all our boats to the water via the tubes when they showed up with this smh. they double stacked their two rigs fully loaded, think 5 of them and then 2 of us helped and it was easy going. Ranger was cool af.

·
Registered
276 Posts
We had a trip about a month ago. They had both the cart and the roller tubes. The cart looked nice, but it's pretty heavy even without a boat. We used the roller tubes and they worked great with a full loaded boat. I personally thought I could have driven out on the sand (I did it last year, although without a trailer), but the ranger strongly advised against it. It's a bit of a pain, but only adds perhaps an hour to your overall put in.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just find it hard to believe there is a problem with driving on the sand, Ive driven up and down big sand dunes and all over the deserts, also Ive driven miles down beaches. Ive never thought of sand as something to fear in my car, and while Ive never had a trailer on while driving on sand I just dont see how it could be an issue.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
I recommend driving out there and testing it out. Not sure what will happen, since I have not seen it for myself, but don't let this one go, without finding out for yourself.
Peace be with you, and best of luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I drove to about 30' of the river with a loaded f-350 diesel ( 4 boats and frames and gear) Tires sank in about 2", I didn't have any problems but if you spun a tire I could see getting stuck. I had a shovel and a long tow rope just in case.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We put it two weeks ago. We used the cart deal. Trucks did pull on the sand but it was soft. No one got stuck but they did sink a bit.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Just got off the river on the 4th. I drove my Tacoma out with no problems in 4 wheel low. Same thing/time last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 20 of 24 Posts