Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my first Gates of Lodore trip beginning October 9th. We Plan on running the ABC section into Gates taking three days for the first part and 5 for Gates.

Two Questions:

What is the water level like usually at that time of year or how can I found out?

Can a 16ft raft make it down with no issue or should I take my 13ft raft?

Thanks for the info.

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
Flow will prob. be 850 cfs as that is the lowest they release out of the dam. You might get hung up on Lower Disaster and the runout of HHM. No fun but no big deal either. The rest of it is just fine, still one of the best in the country.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
I've run a 16er at that level. Lodore is totally manageable at 850-900. The "C" section and stretch below it will require dodging some sand bars: plan on moving slow. Also, don't forget the free "play permit" for floating unto Lodore. Without it you'll get fined!

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
If you haven't been on that section, there will be big water fluctuations on account of the dam, boats tend to beach in evening, start to float in a.m. mostly it works out though, maybe some d- beaching,especialy closer to dam, carefull what's under your boat when you tie off for night.

16' is fine,you might be working a bit to make miles above gates, sounds like an awesome trip. Gates in oct. can be very nice, enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
What is the water level like usually at that time of year or how can I found out?
Go to the source and learn to run the queries - it takes playing around with some to learn but it's not that hard. Here's the average daily flow from 1980 to 2015.

You should have plenty of water if flows are near average, worst case is you'll have 850 like we did back in the early 2000s.

Have a great trip!

-AH

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've got a similar launch date. How rough is it getting through Island Camp area with all the sand bars. Been through there at similar flows on Green, but at that time (early July last year), Yampa was still feeding it a little. Gotta think nothing coming from Yampa at that time.

Also, assuming we get daytime highs in the low 70's, how cold is the water likely to be? I don't have drysuits for everyone that is going and there's obviously always some risk something could go wrong in Triplet or Hells.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Ran late october last year, thought island park was fine, channeled with some shallow spots. Saw 3 golden eagles and the largest buck i've ever seen within 50 yds. in that stretch!
Camped at Jones 3, and it was a long day rowing out.
Preaty cold water coming out of the dam, think water page links that have been posted should also list temp. from that time of year in past seasons.

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
I really enjoy October floats through Lodore. Make sure to have warm clothes for everyone and good splash gear. Even small splashes will make people cold. When we were there a couple of years ago closer to the end of October, the temps were in the 60s, water was 47 degrees. Luckily we had enough dry suits/splash gear to keep our kids warm. I was in my shorts still....

Haven't seen one other boat the whole trip, we camped where looked good, since all sites were open. Great trip.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got my first Gates of Lodore trip beginning October 9th. We Plan on running the ABC section into Gates taking three days for the first part and 5 for Gates.

Two Questions:

Can a 16ft raft make it down with no issue or should I take my 13ft raft?

Thanks for the info.
Just came off a nine day trip. Glad I used 4 days on the ABC section. Certainly can be done in 3. Section C is slow and did get minor sticks on the sand bars. If you have wind section C would be very slow. Be certain to look for the distant view of the gates about half way through section C, a amazing site way in the distance. Do stop at the jarvice? Ranch the dug out home was pretty cool.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Did first week of November last year; it was great (weather and flows were fine -- 1.5K at Greendale when we put in at Gates). Obviously cool nights and early mornings, but delightful during the day. That said, I did wear my drysuit (13' cat solo) -- didn't want a wet swim in November (didn't swim, though). The little bit of rain while on the river was of course no problem with the drysuit -- rain was timed well -- mostly while sleeping. Saw nobody else -- oh, except a group we passed getting it together at Island Park on our way out.
Of course, weather is hard to predict -- Did April Yampa in 2014 and it was really nice; this year wet and cold most of the time -- even a bit of snow.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have done 2 fall trips, both glorious. I think a 16 ft boat with soft tubes and relatively light load would be much better than a 13 - it is not a technical rock fest but shallows are a minor issue and a bigger boat floats higher.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts