Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a trip coming up in mid/late june on the Green through Lodore and Split Mountain Canyon. Can anyone provide any beta on high water runs through these (4600 above the Yampa confluence now, 176000 below), and if we can still expect high water in a few weeks? Or will they drop pretty quickly once the melt peak is done?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Try giving the Park a call and see if they know what the dam will be releasing for the Green River when you go. Looks like they're doing "flood" releases right now but they probably won't do that for long. I usually just expect the release to be in the 800 or so range and then I can be surprised if it's bigger. The Yampa peaked yesterday so my guess would be that it'll be down to around 6000 or less by the time you launch so that, plus whatever is being released from the dam, will be your flow through Whirlpool and Split. I'm guessing you'll be looking at slightly higher than normal flows for that time of year but definitely not "high" water. When's your trip?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
621 Posts
Good to know as well, we're putting on june 20th. Would love that extra flow out of the Yampa so the bottom section is faster then normal, but not holding our breaths. Although anything more then the 0 CFS bump we got from the yampa last September would be nice.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Good to know as well, we're putting on june 20th. Would love that extra flow out of the Yampa so the bottom section is faster then normal, but not holding our breaths. Although anything more then the 0 CFS bump we got from the yampa last September would be nice.
Post some details of your trip and/or I'll try to shoot you a PM after you take out. I put at Gates on july 5. I've only run it once and it was around 800. I'm actually thinking it would be a quite a bit nicer at 3000 or so (much less bony), but I will have some kids (10-14) with me this time so if it's "game on" in certain sections, I'd like to know that heading in.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Paul when we ran Yampa in April we had 6k on Yampa and 850cfs from Lodore - for just under 7k through split mountain. The part below the confluence moves pretty quick at that level. If we are anywhere around that flow, or higher, (which I think we will be) we will be very good to go.

·
Registered
149 Posts
First trip on gates of lodore was 2500 CFS and I thought it was a great trip. My youngest was 5 yrs and she thought it was great! I thought it was a pretty forgiving level. Super stoked for the increased flows this year! Higher water looked like it had some interesting stuff, probably not appropriate for a 5 yr old but I'm not an expert on those flows.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Let me know when you get back. I'm not as hopeful for your flows as some others are. Fingers crossed though!!! Have fun!

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
The rapids you should pay attention to are:

Triplet rapid: You will have much higher hydraulic and will need to pull away from the boulder on the right.

Hells Half Mile: Definitely scout it, but should be straight forward run and the rocks below should be under water to make it a safe run. At higher flow the Lucifier should be under water and you can ride over the top. To be safe, skirt Lucifer on the river right side to miss the hole right behind Lucifer.

School Boy and SOB on the Splitmountain will be pushy, so make sure to start pulling away from the walls early enough.

Moonshine hole will be huge (at least was at 16k). If you have big enough boat, it's a fun ride. You can skirt it on the left if you see it early enough and ride the tongue. The big boulder outcropping on the river right is a marker for the hole.

Ingelsby (last rapid on the splitmountain) will be similar to Funnel Falls on WW. Either ride the tongue in the middle or go left for a safe run. I've personally never gone left, already hit the tongue in the middle. If you mess up on the tongue a HUGE hole develops on both sides and you wouldn't want to be there.

·
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
621 Posts
Paul when we ran Yampa in April we had 6k on Yampa and 850cfs from Lodore - for just under 7k through split mountain. The part below the confluence moves pretty quick at that level. If we are anywhere around that flow, or higher, (which I think we will be) we will be very good to go.
Ya Brian I'm hoping for more water. The more the better on the lower section. Last fall we had 800 on the upper and I think 750 on the lower, ya 50cfs was probably flowing back up the yampa, or so it felt. 2 long windy days to split mountain were brutal, and the sand bars in the maze or whatever everyone calls it were rough, luckily for us we had 12 dozen beers so it was ok...

You riding with us out there? I'll have the trailer and room in the SUV for 5. Tight in the back seat, but doable, 3 girls they should be fine. We could also leave a car in Craig at walmart and just squeeze 5 in from there. Pack all the gear in the trailer so we don't have to adjust anything from that point and just split the shuttle costs, not fuel.

·
Registered
195 Posts
goldenshowers...is it really flowing 176000 below the confluence??? if so I am suddenly very concerned for my daughter who launched at Deerlodge this past Saturday....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Post some details of your trip and/or I'll try to shoot you a PM after you take out. I put at Gates on july 5. I've only run it once and it was around 800. I'm actually thinking it would be a quite a bit nicer at 3000 or so (much less bony), but I will have some kids (10-14) with me this time so if it's "game on" in certain sections, I'd like to know that heading in.
We launch July 6 at Gates. My first time, but we have seasoned oarsmen on the trip. Seems like "some more" would be preferable to "bony hell". Will be looking at reports up to launch. Woo Pig Sooie!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
The big flush from Flaming Gorge Dam started Friday 6/6, and will be at full bypass (8600 cfs or so) for a couple weeks. At least that's the word from the BOR. We're headed to the Gorge for a campout this week, and the fishermen in my group are pretty bummed. They were hoping to walk or float section A and fish.

All you folks have a great trip on Lodore & stay safe. It should be a hoot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think I rafted at this level about seven years ago. I remember just fun and splashy. I hope all of our camps aren't underwater. Bugs should be minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 20 of 59 Posts