Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Galaxy Coolers are back on the market. galaxycoolers.blogspot.com for shapes and prices.

95% of the outfitters in the Grand Canyon use them extensively, because having ice after 20 days in July is a beautiful thing:)

It must be tough battling in a cooler market full of multi-millionaires, I hope he makes it!

Support Colorado small business if you need a great cooler!

Brady

·
Registered
206 Posts
galaxy coolers

these are great coolers and yesterday i saw one of the new generation. looks alright to me. i don't think i'll ever deal with "marty" again though. he sold me a cooler last winter that had been welded on the inside. he told me about this repair and i still wanted it. i got it home and discovered a lot of other problems with the cooler that weren't mentioned. he told me that he was getting a new shipment this summer and he would trade it out with me. so, i kept in touch with him, he quit answering my phone calls, unless i called from a random number. when i did finally get ahold of him again, guess what, no new cooler for me. seems he isn't in control of the "assets" so he can't remedy the situation that he created by not disclosing all the problems with the crappy cooler he sold me. i really like the coolers and think they are the best but watch your ass with this guy. they aren't a durango manufacturing company anyway, he resells asian built coolers. never the less, the quality of the old ones is great, but don't expect any warranties or service. i went against what everyone in town told me and tried to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and he ended up being true to his reputation.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
these are great coolers and yesterday i saw one of the new generation. looks alright to me.

i don't think i'll ever deal with "marty" again though. he sold me a cooler last winter that had been welded on the inside. he told me about this repair and i still wanted it. i got it home and discovered a lot of other problems with the cooler that weren't mentioned.

Like what?

i really like the coolers and think they are the best but watch your ass with this guy.

If he sells you an obvious second for cheap while he's trying to feed his family he may not want to give you a brand new one?

he told me that he was getting a new shipment this summer and he would trade it out with me. so, i kept in touch with him, he quit answering my phone calls, unless i called from a random number. when i did finally get ahold of him again, guess what, no new cooler for me. seems he isn't in control of the "assets" so he can't remedy the situation that he created by not disclosing all the problems with the crappy cooler he sold me.

"i really like the coolers and think they are the best but watch your ass with this guy.?"

i really like the coolers and think they are the best but watch your ass with this guy.

they aren't a durango manufacturing company anyway, he resells asian built coolers.

Which cooler company isn't selling foreign coolers? That's the biz.
Yeti-Phillipines, Engel? Gott Crap

never the less, the quality of the old ones is great(????), but don't expect any warranties or service.

i went against what everyone in town told me and tried to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and he ended up being true to his reputation.

I hope he proves you wrong.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yo Moetown, I have a similar story. Marty told me he was getting a shipment in this June and that he would call me about replacing my cooler lid that was clawed through by a bear on the MFS. Last year we called and sent it into him after he told us it was under warranty and that he would get us a new lid for free... we even told him we'd pay for it. Well, no response after we sent in the lid. Not for a whole year. Then out of the blue he calls me and tells me his story about almost losing the company but that the outfitters on the Grand saved him. And that we'll have our new lid in June. He'll call to follow up. I forgave him and got on the buzz and wrote in about how impressed I was with his service. Well... I still don't have a lid so and haven't heard a word. maybe I spoke too soon on clearing up his bum rap. I wish we just had the clawed up cooler lid. At least then we could have something to show for the $300 we coughed up for our deposit on the cooler that we rented- shit I would have fixed it myself had I known we'd lose the deposit anyway. So Moetown, tell your boy Marty to give me a call about that Cooler lid and I will again, repost about my great impression. 303-956-6272
The thing you are confusing is that the coolers ARE awesome, it just seems that the customer service isn't
Jackie

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tell your boy Marty to give me a call about that Cooler lid and I will again, repost about my great impression. 303-956-6272
The thing you are confusing is that the coolers ARE awesome, it just seems that the customer service isn't
Jackie[/quote]

Not my boy, not your secretary, good luck:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
not your boy... then why the strong words of defense? just thought with such faith maybe you could pass along the word that folks are waiting for promises to be filled, or do I need to be a GC outfitter to get some service? I very much want my lid back, claws or no, so I will keep posting my experiences with Marty so that people know if he is good on his word or not.
thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Rich, As I mentioned, the cooler was rented. We just needed to fix it in order to hold up our end of the bargain with the University of Utah, or eat the deposit, which we have done. I contacted him about a PAID repair and he told me that the cooler had a guarantee and it would be a free replacement. I do not have a cooler lid now period, paid, free, nothing. I have an excellent base of a cooler. I also sent him, with the lid, photos of the cooler's damage and our excitement about the bear not being able to actually get through the cooler. We raved about the product. Again, the product isn't the issue. It is trying to get a response on fixing something that for a $300 pricetag, should be possible to fix and has been promised to be fixed. Seriously, please tell me if I am being unreasonable here. Again, I will pay for the repair or replacement.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The warranty applys even if a bear claws through the lid???
Sounds like a GREAT warranty!
It is a great warranty... if it's actually honored.

I flyfish, and all high-end rod manufacturers have no-fault warranties. Slam it in the door? No problem. Slip and fall on your rod? No problem. I've enjoyed this kind of warranty for years. The difference? The manufacturers actually deliver.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Been following this thread with a lot of interest.

I have a icee kool unit that has served me well for several years. It no longer fits my new frame.

Was thinking about a new cooler unit since the blog talks about 160 qt units that will fit in the bottom of my 38 inch wide frame bottom.

Heres the deal. Warranties are not worth a hoot if the management will not honor them.

Now we have a couple posts here where the management is not honoring their warranty and that bothers me a lot.

I am not a grand canyon outfitter and never will be. But, if I pay the high cost for a product I expect to get good customer service, not a run around from the management.

I just had a very old no longer in production princeton tech flash light stop working. Emailed Princeton Tech, they said send it back, no questions asked. After a week I just got it back and it looks like new and works like a champ. That is the kind of service I expect when I pay full retail for a product.

I do not know if the Galaxy management reads the Buzz or not. But, if they care about expanding their business past the few Grand Canyon outfitters who buy their product, the management needs to cut out the excuses and start taking care of their customers. Yup, even us private run of the mill rafter types

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is a great warranty... if it's actually honored.

I flyfish, and all high-end rod manufacturers have no-fault warranties. Slam it in the door? No problem. Slip and fall on your rod? No problem. I've enjoyed this kind of warranty for years. The difference? The manufacturers actually deliver.
Most high end rod manufacturers are dropping that warranty. I was told too many folks were busting rods unnecessarily. I sold most of my Winstons when I started evaluating the cost versus cast. If Lefty Kreh can cast 60 feet with a broomstick, I suppose I don't need to spend 895 on a new Orvis XXX.

Now a $500 cooler that keeps my beer cool for 15 days, is a no brainer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
brady from moenkopi?

Hey man, if you've have good luck with this guy then more power to you. Like i said, I think the coolers are the best, I've got three of them. So, I know what one of these coolers should look like. I was just passing along my experiences with marty so hopefully others are aware of the possibilities in dealing with him. I think he is a shady businessman that doesn't stand behind his word. The coolers kick ass though, so I am bummed about the whole deal.
With that said, in response to your attack on my post, the cooler leaks, it doesn't seal. There are other welded areas that have been ground off and the drain plug area is so warped from melting that it won't seal shut.
If i had been given a deal on a second I wouldn't be so pissed about it. I paid full price for a cooler that shouldn't need to be fixed when i got it home.
A lot of people have been led to believe that this was a local company, which is not true. I didn't say anything about where the other coolers are made, they fully disclose that information.
One more thing, I hope he does prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breathe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
http://galaxycoolers.blogspot.com/

Thank you for choosing a Galaxy Cooler. We believe that you will have a lifetime of great experiences with your new cooler. We take special care in manufacturing our coolers, and we welcome any comments or questions about the performance of our product. We are committed to customer service, and will do what it takes to exceed our customer’s needs
Here is the guarantee. Will keep the Buzz posted if I receive a call back on our cooler lid.

·
Come and open the gate
183 Posts
is there anywhere else to get the coolers from besides this marty guy?

is galaxycoolers.com the same people as the blogspot website?

it is a different phone number, same area code.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey man, if you've have good luck with this guy then more power to you. Like i said, I think the coolers are the best, I've got three of them. So, I know what one of these coolers should look like. I was just passing along my experiences with marty so hopefully others are aware of the possibilities in dealing with him. I think he is a shady businessman that doesn't stand behind his word. The coolers kick ass though, so I am bummed about the whole deal.
With that said, in response to your attack on my post, the cooler leaks, it doesn't seal. There are other welded areas that have been ground off and the drain plug area is so warped from melting that it won't seal shut.
If i had been given a deal on a second I wouldn't be so pissed about it. I paid full price for a cooler that shouldn't need to be fixed when i got it home.
A lot of people have been led to believe that this was a local company, which is not true. I didn't say anything about where the other coolers are made, they fully disclose that information.
One more thing, I hope he does prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breathe.
I gotta brush up on my written skills. No attack intended. I just wanted to know what the total deal on the cooler was and it sounded like a second to me. It was very nice of you to pay full price for a blem. I hope he gets er done for you. I'm sure someone will tell him of the knitting circle:)

·
Super Moderator
3,966 Posts
I'm sure someone will tell him of the knitting circle
Brady,

You're the one that started this thread promoting a product and now that some folks have shared less than positive experiences, you're calling it an knitting circle. That's an interesting characterization from someone whose business has benefited as yours has from what your clients have posted on this website.

The market can work very swiftly and effectively when information on products and associated service is freely available to the consumers. This is a fact of life in the internet age. I'm sure Marty's number is in your rolodex or cellphone, and his email address is at your fingertips. Could you please do him a favor and give him a call so he can chime in and we can hear his side of the story? He's got a chance to set the record straight before a substantial portion of his current and potential clientele.

Thanks,

-AH

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
Brady,

Thats really funny. As the owner of Moenkopi, I would be careful standing behind a product that does not live up to it's warranty / manufactures claims. You stand to loose much more business than you could hope to bring the owner of a retail reseller (ie:IceeCool / Galaxy coolers). Now I'm not calling you a saturnraft.com, but am saying that if you are going to post and then vehemently defend a company, you best know their reputation and be bros with the owner. I know nothing of the company, other than they were located around 27th and main in DGO (wasn't there a head shop there as well back in the Day?) They might sell great coolers, for all I know, but that does not mean * without the company standing behind their product like they CLAIM. So what is a 5 year no questions asked warranty on a puncture proof raft worth? Nothing, when you find out the shill selling it to you is posting his own reviews and does not stand behind his product!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello to all from Marty Icee-Kool/ Galaxy Coolers Founder. I appreciate the chance to publicly answer all these concerns. I do read the Buzz when I can but it is hard to keep up with it all. I am one person doing it all. I hope this reply is not considered an excuse and need to tell my side.

Jackie, I ordered your new lid but it did not come in the order because it is no longer in production. I apologize I have not followed up in a timely manner. I am fixing your lid now and will be ready to send it to you next week. Please email me your shipping address. I take full responsibility for my poor customer service and appreciate your patience, your positive reviews of the product and hope you will let the buzz know how it works out. I am only my mamas boy.

Jim, aka coloradorafter, you knew you were buying a floor model and a repaired cooler. You had no problem with it until you got home, upon which you called me and said your wife was upset you paid full price for a used cooler and that you were worried it would be hard to clean with the weld in it. Then you called me again and said the drain leaked. I offered to fix it and you never told me there was anything else wrong with the cooler. I really do not appreciate you saying I did not disclose all the things wrong with the "crappy cooler". I did want to replace the cooler because you were not happy with it, but the way it is working is I do not own the coolers to replace yours with. I would have to buy the cooler from the company and trade you. Your cooler has reinforced T8 aluminum alloy backing plates behind the latches and hinges. The only functional issue is the drain washer does not seat flush. A simple scrapping into plane will fix that. I hope you will be happy with the cooler when I fix it. I want to make this right for you. I can relate to your position and feel we are similar in our responsibilities. When we last spoke you were going to bring the cooler to my house and I was going to fix it. I hope that is still the plan.

Durangosteve, it is a very different thing to replace a fly rod and to replace a roto-molded 115 qt cooler. A fly rod is mass produced, it costs about $5 to make and less then a $1 to ship across the ocean. If you think it is the same thing you are wrong. It has not been easy to create the cooler these people speak so highly of. There is no other cooler like it in the world. You can not go anywhere and get it but from me. I have put everything I have into making the best cooler in the world and I am very proud of the thousands of happy customers that own Galaxy Coolers. They are private boaters and Grand canyon outfitters alike.

Okieboater you sound like a happy customer. I hope you realize as Ritarafter clearly stated. A bear attack is not covered under warranty, I am fixing it because I sympathize with her and her groups position. The bear didn’t get in her cooler and I am a damn good plastic welder. Jim deserves to have his drain fixed. As the management, marketing, R&D, warehouse, shipping, sales, janitor and the person who eats sleeps and breathes coolers I hope you will still consider us when shopping for a new cooler.

Aloha

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did not read this second page of posts and must say I do like the chance to explain my side. My position does not change and hope my post helps all involved, Brady and Jim alike. I will follow up from my side as issues get resolved. Thank you all again.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Yup, my cooler has worked well for me and I am going to give it to a rafting bud who has a frame that the cooler will fit in.

I am gonna watch the Buzz board and see if the issues mentioned here are taken care of.

Then I will look into your current offer. I just need a large capacity cooler that will fit into a 38 inch across frame.

I appreciate you taking the time to state your side of the current issue and I appreciate you taking responsibility to make thing right.

They are good coolers. Expensive, but having cool food and cold drinks 8 or so days into a river trip is worth the cost at least for me it is.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts