Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a Werner Sho-Gun for years, but always been intrigued by the Gala Sport https://www.galasportusa.com/catalog/whitewater-kayak-paddles/manic-mcq-ergo. Anyone ever used one. How are they. I feel like planting the blade further forward, and ending further forward could have it's benefits. Bracing maybe a little screwy. I would love to try one if anyone in Idaho has one, or if anyone near boulder has one, and something is running around thanksgiving.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I used one briefly (Trick maybe?) when living in New Mexico, next to my Werner Powerhouse I found the blades to have an unfavorable amount of flutter, and obviously less purchase and the the bent shaft (mototorque?) was a pain in the ass to get used to. I would love to try a straight version though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I paddled on the Grand this year with my friend's.
I can say that the blade he had had great purchase, but was quite "slicey".
Lots of power, but you had to be precise. He also had the bent shaft. I liked it.

But the metal edges are something he was always worried about jacking on a rock.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I paddled with one in New Zealand for a bit; I thought it felt like a slalom paddler's paddle -- like Sherpa said, solid if your technique is good, but slicey/fluttery if it's not. I also managed to get sand jammed in between the metal edges and the blade's surface, and snapped one once when rolling up in shallow, rocky water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts