Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used this product? I have an old neoprene boat that is in nice shape but has a few wear spots that I would like to cover. She holds air for weeks and has no patches so I'd like to keep it that way. Plus the guides ass wore the fabric a bit, could I use the coating in there and still get a surface that's comfortable to sit on.

Gaco Western - Neoprene Coatings

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did not use it to cover wear spots but thinned it with toluene an painted the old
Leland an Green River rafts,to make silver not black also did the dry bags as well.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
541 Posts
Check out a product called System 6 sold by Man of Rubber. Sounds like a newer version of what u were talking about?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That shit is expensive...urethane is not what I want for my neo boat. The process is to involved and the cure time is to long. This gaco seems to be pretty easy to apply and cures quickly. It sounds like gaco makes hypalon paint in lots of colors and this neoprene paint, which I assume is black. I've seen the j rigs painted silver which I assume is for heat. I'd like the paint to be black to match the neo, and the boat already has light blue gum wear strips to protect the booties.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
If your wear spots are still being worn upon, then you should apply wear patches. I've used Gaco to paint over old markings with good success. I've painted two D rings to match a boat. Just remember...... it does not provide a wear protection. I've only used the stuff made for Hypalon. I'd double check on the color when you order it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This boat was used commercially for 15 years but the only wear spots are from trailering. All normal wear spots like the floor and seams are looking great. The floor is a double layer of 60oz material, It would be hard to damage it with a dull knife.

The manufacturer claims this product creates an abrasion resistant layer, good for protecting the underside of rafts. In a 11 yr old mtn buzz thread someone claimed it also seals pinholes...of which I have none.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do appreciated the responses, thanks. Where are the old salty raft guides, y'all probably used gallons of this shit....how is it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You did hear from old salty guides. The stuff works, but it is thin. It is paint, not a wear patch. We did use gallons
back when rafts were black.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Soooooo salty ;)

How would this compare to urethane, like the system 6 mentioned above, it's a paint too and it's thin, even after a few coats, but it's tough and pretty slick when wet. Is gaco neo paint similar, can it be applied in coats? From the research I've done, it looks to be a durable waterproof rubberized sealant, most of y'all on here seem to say its just paint that sticks well to rubber. I've watched Millionaire, I know the audience is normally correct, I'm just wondering why I seem to be getting two different answers. Maybe we are talking about two different products?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Gaco

By salty, I mean wayne23, who says he used it on Green River and Leyland boats, which were vulcanized neoprene. Leylands probably date back to the 70s. Gaco is rubber paint, or liquid rubber. It adheres pretty well on neoprene, not quite as well on hypalon (even the hypalon paint). We used to repaint neoprene boats every season or so. It would help protect worn areas, but not as well as a wear patch, or maybe urethane. It is not as abrasion resistant as urethane, but I would paint it on a neoprene boat in a heartbeat. It's not cheap, though, and hard to find these days.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I'd say the difference is in the hardness and flexibility of the product after it drys. The Gaco I've used remains so flexible you can't tell it's on there when you roll the boat. The American Camper I urethaned the floor of, is noticeably heavier and harder to roll.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
For wear spots like the guide seat you would be much better off with a professionally installed wear patch. It will last longer, look better, and probably keep the boat's value higher.Several raft repair businesses give discounts to Mountain Buzz members. Check the ads or Partner's area.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, useful insight. The boat is vulcanized neoprene, a 95 dib. I bought if of a retired guide that practically stole (got cheap) from the outfitter he worked at. I paid two bills for it and don't plan on doing much to it, I just want to cover the wear spots to protect the fabric. This stuff apparently has a good shelf life. I think I'll try to contact gaco on Monday and see what they charge for this stuff. I'm sure DIB will charge me plenty for some patch material. I'll make some calls and see what's what, I may just get a repair kit from dib since I don't have a neo/hypalon specific kit yet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Like I said before, we did not use without thinning....I'm pretty sure they did before me but it blistered. Never for pin holes or wear spots. We used it to turn black boats silver.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts