Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Pole Hill, Pinewood, and Flatiron under maintenance, it is very likely we will wind up running some water down the Big Thompson Canyon, releasing from Olympus Dam on Lake Estes. After October 28, flows in the canyon could be as high as 350 cfs. They could stay at that level into November.

That's right - Halloween to Thanksgiving class IV-V in Colorado, link to the article below:

Reclamation: Horsetooth and Carter Lake Reservoirs

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have been waiting for some Fall Big Tommy! Last year we paddled it in November, dress warm. There is also some class III below the lake to the Handicap pull off.

·
Registered
579 Posts
yeah last year the big T ran most of Nov. sub freezing air temps, ice on the rocks and river sides.... so cold John T had to undo my pfd at the end of the run... = FUN. ....oh yeah and glasses fogging so bad i couldn't see anything.... FUN. Bring it!!!!

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
Last year we had a pretty healthy 200 cfs release before the main release. The run is a lot less intense at 200-250 than it is at 300+. It was a good warm up for the serious shit. If this pre-release happens again this year, can somebody please email me so I don't miss it?

·
Registered
950 Posts
SON-OF-A-BEEOTCH

I really hate living in Arkansas now! It's been dry here and NO PADDLING unless you wanna drive 11 hours to the cheeoa

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yeah in NC. The Big south fork of the cumberland sometimes runs and is like 8 hours...the ocoee is like 9 hours. But NOTHING is running around here.

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
Pizzle, are you asking about the big t? Gannon's whining about his poor life choices has gotten this thread all off track.

I don't know much about the lower section, but I think that you need about 500 cfs or more. You put in below Cannon shot and paddle to wherever you feel like. There is like a dam or something... and two or three rapids... maybe a bridge? A bridge and a rapid together? Sort of fuzzy, really. I remember it being sketchy because of a lack of eddies. People seem to like it, though.

The upper section (the Gnar) runs from about 120 on up. 250 is a very nice flow, although still manky. By the time it gets up to about 300 and above, it is a lot less manky, but it is also a lot more serious. Seriousness increases with flow. I think I tap out at about 450-500. I have no idea how high it's been run. Scout extensively.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Leif, joking about the Pongos. Just hoping to scrape down something closer to home. If only there was a a high speed bullet train from the front range to Gore.
These South East boys got me all prematurely excited about some play park feature in Mississippi. I guess I will just have to wait a little longer for Some Big T mank.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hey Leif,

I'm up for the T when it goes. I'd love to finally fire up the gnar, would you show me the lines?

For sure will be up there on the 6th and any weekends or Fridays after that.

Josh

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'm not whining! I get all summer off (to come back to CO) and warm paddling WHEN it rains here during the off season in CO. I've ran the main section below the gnar at 200 and didn't touch a rock to all you paddle snobs who think it needs 3-500cfs.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'm not whining! I get all summer off (to come back to CO) and warm paddling WHEN it rains here during the off season in CO. I've ran the main section below the gnar at 200 and didn't touch a rock to all you paddle snobs who think it needs 3-500cfs.
I'm calling BS on this, I want to see this levitating paddling that somehow allows you to "not touch a rock" when everyone else hits rocks at double that flow.

·
Likes it wet.
295 Posts
I think I'm up there with the best of them when it comes to making the best out of elf flows, but I'll have to agree with stoutmaster Tom on this one. Wait for more than 400 for that lower stuff... and the gnar ... well... you should just know when you're ready it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You buncha snobs! I bet you're all the same people who won't do steven's down below 3ft or the gnarrows below 2 ft! You just wait. One day all the water will be controlled by some giant corporation (anybody remember Sloarbabies?) or gone...What do you think it just falls outta the sky??

I'm deciding on if I should fly United for $250 roundtrip to DEN to come get some! I've never flew with a kayak and had to claim it is a handicap surfboard :???:

What's up Mike!

·
Likes it wet.
295 Posts
doing well Gannon! I'm going to miss the Big T myself unless it starts running by November 3, but flying back to DC next weekend to see family and boat The Falls... then a big move to Seattle. The PACNW season is just cranking up! See you all next season for a week or two!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts