Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I´m inbetween jobs right now, so I decided to try my luck traveling alone in Chile. So far it´s been really fun, but the rivers are all really high right now in Pucon. I would really like to go to the Futa, but people tell me that it´s pretty much all class V big water, which is a little much for me. Has anyone been down there? Are there any good class IV runs when the river is high? I´d really like to make it down there since this is probably a once in a lifetime deal, but I don´t know if it´s worth it. Any info would be great about this river or othre good Chileno rios.
Muchas Gracias

·
Registered
911 Posts
The Fu is nothing short of AWESOME and you should definitely go. I really can't tell you what the levels are compared to when I did it several years ago, but bottom line there are sections that are fairly tame IV, and I can't imagine those same sections getting harder than IV+ beyond a certain rapid or two...

GO FOR IT! Call or email someone at kayakfu.com. They run an awesome outfit and are all great folks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!! I´ll cotact kayakfu and see what they have to say. Right now I´m in Pucon, and I think they may be telling me not to go to the Futa because they want business. I´m sure it´s really big though because it´s been raining a lot down there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Go, the Futa region is such a cool place

There are many more rivers down there than just the Futa also
The Futa has a class IV section,if memory serves it is the Macal section
There are also plenty of other rivers around,some just over the border in Argentina.Check out www.exchile.com This is Chris Spelius' outfit down there; camping,lodge,guides,drivers,and people in general to hook up with
I've done both the Pucon area and the Futa region; loved em both
Futa is a little more out there do it seemed much more adventurous

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Go to the Fu!

You will love it - look into the bridge to bridge run - then move up if you want.

·
Registered
185 Posts
futa can suck when it's too big and few people to paddle with.
take the advice from the people in pucon. stay there do some creekin. or go to argentina, real close, run the alumine, or manso easy section.
futa too early will be cold, rainy, big and scary. it's not worth it for the macal section.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts