Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking in to getting a full face for creeking.
The two I'm looking at are the Shred Ready standard Fullface and the predator six full face.
The problem I have have with the predator is the fact that it doesn't have any ear holes. Does anybody have any advice on how the hearing is on the Predator.
The thing I don't like about the shred ready is the plastic they use. How durable is the plastic they use?
I'd like to get the sweet but... Hot damn they are pricey.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looking in to getting a full face for creeking.
The two I'm looking at are the Shred Ready standard Fullface and the predator six full face.
The problem I have have with the predator is the fact that it doesn't have any ear holes. Does anybody have any advice on how the hearing is on the Predator.
The thing I don't like about the shred ready is the plastic they use. How durable is the plastic they use?
I'd like to get the sweet but... Hot damn they are pricey.

I believe the Predator plastic is of a cheaper variety than Shred Readys. I'd suggest FNA for a true quality full face. Not too bad of a price for a hand made product!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Predator

A few of my buddies have tried the Predator. They were saying that it didn't seem to absorb much of the impacts when they hit their head while wearing it.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so if the predator plastic is worse. How is the Shred ready full face carbon?
I would love to spend 400 bucks on a sweet and I have no problem paying that much for a helmet. But damn its expensive!
Let me know what you recommend.
And for some reason the FNA full face doesn't look that protective...

·
Registered
222 Posts
fna has great coverage, but it was brought to my attention and i do agree that the outfitting on the inside is sub par. you have a great shell with some of the most basic outfitting. the helmet comes with strips of foam that dont cover the entire surface of head contact with the shell. essentially all of the impact is transferred to a concentrated area. this could be avoided but a aftermarket foam insert from another helmet company would need to purchased and retro fitted.

i believe the fna is the best shell on the market but the outfitting is near the bottom. spend some time to outfit properly.
the sweet is just that, sweet. good shell with awesome outfitting.
both are expensive. but then again you cant do much with a damaged head.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Theirs been some verbage on full face helmets on the ACC site and most of the concern is with the fact that they aren't class 5 or plus rated. I've never had one or felt I needed one, even in my class 5 paddling days. I admit some do need all the protecion they can get.
Darwin rules!

T.T. aka Bob

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
My wife & a friend of our have the SR full face helmets, I think they're quality for the $$, but if you want a truly good helmet, get a sweet or get an FNA and do a good job outfitting it (Mine is fully foamed, I used other stuff, super comfy & very protective) Also if you ask Faron, he will put a bar or two on it as well making the possibility of you breaking your face with the paddle much less.($25 extra I think?)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Theirs been some verbage on full face helmets on the ACC site and most of the concern is with the fact that they aren't class 5 or plus rated. I've never had one or felt I needed one, even in my class 5 paddling days. I admit some do need all the protecion they can get.
Darwin rules!

T.T. aka Bob
Please, enlighten us on the verbage of why you dont think it's necessary to protect your face and head--because you've never taken a shot to the head or face? And how does darwinism have anything to do with someone wisely trying to protect themselves?? Am I reading you correctly?

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
Hah, Save yourself some money get a lacrosse Helmet. Same if not better protection as high end "whitewater kayaking" cage helmets.

Cascade CLH2 Lacrosse Helmet (Custom Colors) - Dick's Sporting Goods
something like this one. Make sure the padding Isn't that spongy foam stuff that soaks up water. Buy one at a store not online.
I ran a cage for one run & would never do it again, the cage takes a chance of getting hung up on low hanging branches, kinda sketchy.

If all you're worried about is the bottom (you're not on narrow creeks) that might be a really good option, but on the creeks I run I can't say all that extra metal is a good idea.

·
Registered
377 Posts
After reading this thread and checking out the FNA, Sweet and ACC sites, I do not feel that full face helmets offer any more protection than a bolt on face mask. None of the full face models offer any protection to the nose and their jaw protection is not based on foam absorption of energy, just like a face mask. The jaw bar transmits its energy to the helmet where the energy is absorbed, depending on helmet fit and design. Full face helmets for whitewater are ugly as sin and unnecessary. Keep them in motor sports where their construction is warranted and functional. If you have any doubts, look at the FNA stormtrooper helmet. What a hideous piece of pieced together crap! This is just my opinion, I'm sure others will disagree.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Energy Absorption

I wear a full face FNA and it's OK. It's comfortable and fits well but only because I spent a lot of time outfitting it. I've never smashed my face but then I've never smashed my car and still wear my seatbelt.
The bigger question here though is one of energy absorption. FNA and many other helmets have a tough composite shell with ethafoam on the inside. The shell absorbs and dissipates the energy from a hit, the ethafoam makes it fit well but does little for protection. This is a somewhat dubious design if there was truly a hard hit.
I just looked at a friend's new Sweet full face helmet and it seems to be a much better design. It has the plastic outer shell but also has dense foam (like a bike helmet) on the inside. This would absorb and spread the energy out much more effectively. I believe Cascade has a similar model.
Don't be fooled by price. There seems to be an odd ethic that composites are better than plastics but how many people creek in glass boats? Look for the dense foam and proper fit (occipital harness) and try it on before you buy.
Anyone want to buy a used FNA? It's a great helmet, and shiny too!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey freexbiker,
I've got a Predator Six and I think it is pretty good. The lack of ear holes has never been a problem for me. The only problem that I've had with the Six is that the factory outfitting sucks balls and the helmet tends to ride up. I also have the same problem with a predator play helmet (DO NOT buy by the way). I've checked out the new version of the Six and the outfitting is much better than it used to be, but I think it will have the same problem unless you added more foam to the cheeks. As far as the impact dispersion goes, the Six has taken a few big hits and I'm still here, but after a few big whacks it needs to be retired due to it's composite construction. I'm actually looking at a SR FF to replace my beaten up Six. The outfitting is way better but I think some extra foam in the facial region would be required for a better fit. I agree with everyone else that a Sweet is the way to go, but they are damn expensive and I'm already on the Tuna/Ramen/Peanut butter diet, so maybe next year!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts