Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since its that time of year, for the ELF-tolerant out there who just enjoy getting out on the local water after work even if it sucks in comparison to runoff flows, what are your lowest limits for your local runs? Related question--what do you do when you're Jonesin' but don't have time to drive to the [Ark, Colorado, Poudre Narrows, etc.]? I'm specifically curious as to ELF thresholds for the specific sections of Clear Creek (Lower CC, Blackrock/Narrows, Upper CC, Lawson/Dumont) or close to Denver, but it would be cool if this thread became an ELF index of sorts.

I'll start... I have found my backyard Boulder Creek town run (Fine to 30th) to be runnable and fun (although definitely ELF) down to 110 cfs--and more worthwhile and better play than the Golden tube park at those flows--although I usually don't bother if its lower than 150.

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
I've run most of what you ask at way below recommended flows. As the father of a 12 year old on his ninth season of boating, we have pushed the local elf limits beyond what mot would imagine. He used to run Boulder Creek at 25 cfs, though i'f b e on the shore for that. We have done four mile down somewhere around 75-80, and while boast abusive and far from being good boating, I could get down it with only the occasional knuckledrag.

Last year I took him From Black Rock through Rigor at 128 and 143 for his first runs. This actually went a lot better than I would ever have guessed, with only a couple spots where scraping and scootching were mandatory.

I know the companies run Kermits down to the confluence at 150 or thereabouts with 12 foot R4's.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts