Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love to see everyone out there but we will be there so you might want to time your visit before 4:00 or after 7:00. Bringing 15 People with me. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Just to be clear that is Monday June 2nd

·
Registered
43 Posts
Even though I'm not going to be there I appreciate the courtesy in you letting us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
How did your students do Peter? I bet most of them had a total blast.

I'm wondering if Riley is ready for this.

I don't expect he'd swim, but obviously a concern.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Dave, Riley could handle Big Sur with ease! Your kid is a great boater.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Someone correct me if they think I am sandbagging, but I am generally a pretty cautious fellow. Big Sur is actually pretty friendly if you keep to the front wave and stay out of the second set surfers left (the surfers left eddy can also be tough for some too because it surges + poison ivy, also it's really not worth surfing that set right now any way). As far as a swim, my experience has been that the swimmer just needs to be diligent about getting to shore and others should expedite the gear recovery, but it's not a panic situation. Rookies should have an idea what bank they would head for based on where they are surfing. We had one fairly long recovery where a friend was trying to drag his boat to shore (couldn't break the main flow with boat in hand) and we were still not in sight of the damn.

I don't know you all personally other than a causal meeting at Bailey Fest, but given your sons resume on here I would think it's well within his realm if he has done some surfing and can survive a few missed roll attempts through a few wave trains. Just have a spotter and have him start surfers right on the green water.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
778 Posts
Big Sur is actually pretty friendly if you keep to the front wave and stay out of the second set surfers left (the surfers left eddy can also be tough for some too because it surges + poison ivy, also it's really not worth surfing that set right now any way). As far as a swim, my experience has been that the swimmer just needs to be diligent about getting to shore and others should expedite the gear recovery, but it's not a panic situation.
Well put.

I failed to roll/swam twice out of the surfer's left on the top wave last week. Once through the big wave train I re-entered my boat and paddled for the surfer's right shore. Never even saw the dam.

Worst case (I hope) seems to be the semi-required poison ivy bashing if you miss the top eddy. Bring Tecnu.

Little bit of Big Sur footage near the end of the vid embedded here:

Big Wheel Building: Must be doin' somethin' right.

Cheers,

MC

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave, Kids did great. Big Sur is super friendly. If you did not have float bags it might get you half way to the damn to swim in. but I doubt it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts