Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thats one of Casper's Wish they would actually put water in it run.
A fifteen foot pipe with turbines steals all the water. It runs at seventy five cfs year round. Right now it will kind of float a boat but you would have to drag it across a couple of seives(at this level) It needs about twice the water for it to make it even worth a trip. the only time it ever gets water is when pathfinder reservoir spills.(its at 34% now)
There is a fishing area just above the canyon where rumor has it that they might put spawning gravel in(which could hint at having a flush)
Just about all the info I can think of right now...
Luke

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
good pic above. couple drops have logs and couple of the others are seives. couple are scrappy and shallow. would be good if there was ever water in the canyon.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Doublet - never, ever, ever seems to have water. The climbing however is very good, plus, what a great name for a canyon!

If you go there climbing, check out Dillingham Blues, Lord Greystoke, & Wine & Roses. When I was there, there was also some kids with the most psycho rope swing I've ever seen. When you stand out on that bridge, imagine a 150' rope strung up from the middle and kids launching off (on rappel) diagonally (in relation to the bridge) from one rim towards the other. Then they'd rap off the end of the rope into the water and swim out. The water is kind of green and algae-ic looking. Hold onto the rail, it'll make your knees kind of weak.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've heard rumors of them doing a flush of around 150-250. If so it might make some of it more boatable.
If it happens...
Could Somebody like AW do anything?

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
AW could possibly help. if they pushed at least 125 cfs through i would be game for a trial. 250 could start to get fun. ever wonder what that canyon use to look like before alcova was introduced?

·
Registered
907 Posts
One of these days we should go in and do an exploratory trip. Actually look at some of the drops in there. I think there would be only a little boat dragging. Not really sure how we would get out though other than the lake.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
there a trail at the right immediatly before the outflow pretty good climb out and i think theres a road that goes pretty much to the lip. I could possible interested on the right day but its low for sure there might be a couple little drops worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
fremont canyon held a few sweet surprises yesterday for freexbiker(luke) and I. some sweet beginner micro creeking a few class 3 drops with one sweet --4. some nice car size boulders to work your way through. from put in bridge throught the first main canyon to our takeout before the main gorge, we didn't have to get out of the boats once. this run is worth it if in the area not an outstanding run by no means but a run for the jonzing and it runs year round. i would give it a 1.5- 2 stars in cutchs whitewater book. sweet geology, what little pics i have will be posted today.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
75 cfs, isn't alot of water enough to float a boat somewhat
OPENING.jpg
approaching the goods after 3/4 mile sweet class 3 praire creeking
lukeboof4.jpg
luke w/ the boof on John Fremont
LUKEBOOF1.jpg
from below, this was his first boof ever. way to geter done luke
LUKEBOOF3.jpg
finishing off John Fremont
CARBOULDERS01.jpg
before the car sized boulder seive section
CARBOULDERS1.jpg
looking up at the car sized boulder seive section
GRANITE1.jpg
some smooth granitE
GRANITE2.jpg
the end of the upper granite canyon and looking into the abyss of the gorge. its would amount to 1 sliding leave have your boat behind and use your arms rapid and 2 pick up and carrying around seives rapids. than a steep take out. just add water and you would have one hell of an adventure.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nice photos! Thanks for the beta!

75 cfs, isn't alot of water enough to float a boat somewhat
View attachment 746
approaching the goods after 3/4 mile sweet class 3 praire creeking
View attachment 747
luke w/ the boof on John Fremont
View attachment 748
from below, this was his first boof ever. way to geter done luke
View attachment 749
finishing off John Fremont
View attachment 750
before the car sized boulder seive section
View attachment 751
looking up at the car sized boulder seive section
View attachment 752
some smooth granitE
View attachment 753
the end of the upper granite canyon and looking into the abyss of the gorge. its would amount to 1 sliding leave have your boat behind and use your arms rapid and 2 pick up and carrying around seives rapids. than a steep take out. just add water and you would have one hell of an adventure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts