Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had great luck freezing PBR and other yellow/ rice beers for river trips. I was wondering how some tastier micro brews might hold up.

·
My name isn't Will
258 Posts
There was a fair bit of dialogue about this on another thread a few months ago.

I've had good luck with Sierra Nevada, Watershed, Ninkasi, Hop Valley, Rogue, Caldera, Dale's, Ten Barrel, Tecate, Hopworks, Deschutes, Pelican, and several others. Even Lagunitas now that they finally put their beer in cans.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As someone who works in a brewery, it all depends. Low ABV 4-5% beer from Miller, Pabst, Coors has frozen fine for me. (typical river beers)
Higher carbonation Belgian beers in the 500ml variety (Delerium Tremens) freeze great as well, but lose some of their flavor when frozen.
Micros I've had success with include: Fat tire, Sierra Nevada, Deschutes, Odell, Left Hand, Loveland Alewoks ;-)...yet flavor is off after rewarming...subtle, but detectable.

Non successful (above 10% blowouts) have been Bud (most varieties), corona, Kokaneee

it really comes down to seam strength and if the machine was calibrated that day/week depending on the volume of the beer each brewery produces. ABV and esters also play a role in flavor of the re-warmed product, but beer tastes best when NOT frozen.
I don't notice a difference with river quality beers...i.e Miller/coors/PBR. I do with others....Your River Mileage May Vary

·
Registered
385 Posts
As someone who works in a brewery, it all depends. Low ABV 4-5% beer from Miller, Pabst, Coors has frozen fine for me. (typical river beers)
Higher carbonation Belgian beers in the 500ml variety (Delerium Tremens) freeze great as well, but lose some of their flavor when frozen.
Micros I've had success with include: Fat tire, Sierra Nevada, Deschutes, Odell, Left Hand, Loveland Alewoks ;-)...yet flavor is off after rewarming...subtle, but detectable.

Non successful (above 10% blowouts) have been Bud (most varieties), corona, Kokaneee

it really comes down to seam strength and if the machine was calibrated that day/week depending on the volume of the beer each brewery produces. ABV and esters also play a role in flavor of the re-warmed product, but beer tastes best when NOT frozen.
I don't notice a difference with river quality beers...i.e Miller/coors/PBR. I do with others....Your River Mileage May Vary

I have an outside fridge that occasionally freezes during the winter, especially if I don’t get into it for a week or so. Most beers have survived just fine. I think a key is that they tend to freeze fairly slowly. The high abv beers don’t seem to survive, but for other reasons

1 - 4 of 4 Posts