Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a set of evergreen tubes from RMR. CT-140 (14') they have 95" of flat area and 22" in diameter. I would like to build my own frame out of 1.25 6061 Al tube. The plan: Be able to make it playful for day trips (narrower width) and stable (wider width) for multi-day trips. Here's the quandary: What would be the ideal width and length?, Is it better to have the frame end at the center of the wear patch or run it to the outside edge? I have done so much research my head feel like the girl in the exorcist. Any help would be appreciated o_O

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Could you make drop tubes attach in 2 locations and just swap a set of floor braces to change widths?

wouldn’t need a floor for days but have one for multiday width

·
Registered
718 Posts
I always figured that moving the towers outboard (with a wider frame) would give you better leverage on the stroke, generating more power. But what do I know?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Make a second set of cross bars and cheat the the longer ones on the long side for your 14’……that way when you purchase 16’ tubes down the road, you have a start on that frame

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
I always figured that moving the towers outboard (with a wider frame) would give you better leverage on the stroke, generating more power. But what do I know?
It's exactly that simple and also not quite that simple. That's true, but if you go WAY too wide, you have plenty of leverage and no blade speed. Like being stuck in low gear.

This brings up a good point: if you go modular, you need two oar lengths, and if the frame is ~8" wider in multiday configuration, a set of 1' oar extensions would be about perfect. Say 9' in day mode and 10' in multiday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What would be the ideal width and length?, Is it better to have the frame end at the center of the wear patch or run it to the outside edge?
There are limitations, 14x22 tubes are not known for being gear hauling oxen on the water so a "true gear frame" might be a reach??

As far as where to put your frame compared to wear patch.. You need to calculate your towers into the equation. Your towers should not stick out further than your tube. Ideally, your tube should provide some bounce off of a rock before impacting your oar tower.

If I were to design a cat frame, I'd put the frame down the center of the wear patch and oar tower at least 4" inside the outside of the tube.

76" of frame will give more than enough frame to over load the 14x22 cat. and allow you to slide the frame forward and back on the tubes to find a good balance.

34" between tubes would be a happy middle in width.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts