Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I have an 88x72 Bighorn 2 frame for mythat I am going to build some decking out of either HDPE or Plywood. I am curious how people are fastening their decks to their frames? NRS U-Bolt with a washer and cap nut (to cover the threads) is what I was thinking.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is how our boat is set up. I can't take credit for the design as I bought it from someone who built it, but it works great!

There are cutouts for where the crossbars attach to the outer part of frame. There is also a cutout for the oar tower. There are slots cut out in the deck so that straps can be threaded to the crossbars underneath the deck.

The wooden floor in the captain's bay is a perfect width for the inside of the boat and hangs from the frame so that it is suspended from the floor.

The decks are a wonderful spot for fishing, jumping into the river, the puppy dog making her rounds, and spontaneous alcohol induced dancing. It's also great for storing ammo cans, water jugs, etc. for longer trips.

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
cam straps

Here's how I did mine. Made decks out of ACX and coated with Behr Deckover. Will use Deckover next time. Will not use ACX or any kind of plywood again (too many issues, even with regular upkeep of the paint). Next time I'll spend the extra money on MDO. I like the versatility of the holes and straps. Have used the holes to strap other stuff to the decks, like Pelican cases, water jugs, pin kits, etc. Also makes it very easy to disassemble and /or remove the boards for touch-up and maintenance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info guys! I ended up going with the brackets nrs makes for their side decks. I'll post pictures when I'm done

·
Registered
67 Posts
What thickness of MDO would you go with?

5/8? 3/4" ? I like the idea of using it.

Here's how I did mine. Made decks out of ACX and coated with Behr Deckover. Will use Deckover next time. Will not use ACX or any kind of plywood again (too many issues, even with regular upkeep of the paint). Next time I'll spend the extra money on MDO. I like the versatility of the holes and straps. Have used the holes to strap other stuff to the decks, like Pelican cases, water jugs, pin kits, etc. Also makes it very easy to disassemble and /or remove the boards for touch-up and maintenance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used conduit clamps. They are available from NRS If you call, but are not listed on the website.
Yup, those with carriage bolts snug flush to the surface. Except I got my clamps form Home Depot and probably paid less. ;)

If I was to do it again.. I'd probably use 1' straps. While the conduit clamps are beefy, so are straps, while also being more flexible and easier to adjust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts