Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to have a Double rail diamond plate raft frame built. Any frame builders in the SLC area?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was aware of Utah whitewater trying to start a custom frame build shop. I talked to them early this July and was told that They were unaware of this. So there is definitely some miss communication on their part and to be honest I was irritated about how the phone call went. I will give them another call. I have checked into the eddyline Site and looks like they do great work and I may have to make the drive if I can’t find a shop closer

·
Registered
24 Posts
I didn't know UWWG was trying to build their own frames. I've always had a good experience with them anyway. A friend of mine bought a frame there recently, i'ts a nice diamond plate setup and I thought he said it was from a Utah builder, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
502 Posts
UWG carries side rails ready to fit with cross bars. Give Them a call and let them know your raft type and size. I know they carry downriver and had some pretty cool wild willies side rail with diamond plate. Having the diamond plate is something you’ll really appreciate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another recommend for Eddyline. I love my frame. They will work with you to get everything dialed exactly how you want it.
My buddy just got a frame made for his 14' Hyside. Sea deck foam on all the side rails, split double dry boxes with Dory style latches. It's amazing.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Retired and not up for (re-)building frames... but both recommendations above are top-notch, from what I've seen of their work. One suggestion: unless you're going to transport your boat to the builder - which is always preferable - really accurate measurements are a must. Not just center to center in the middle but front, middle, and rear where you want frame to land, etc. You can definitely go a few inches past the flat for overall length, for example, but get much into the kick and you're asking for trouble. Probably no other measurement is as critical as width, and for double rail frame you need the boat inflated to operating pressure, accurate tube diameter (yes, they vary...), and width where you want oarlocks (within 6-12 inches). You can get these dimensions on your garage floor, but temperature is also important...
note on a double rail frame the inside and outside rails land below the absolute top of the tube (they're spanned by your decking). So what width decks do you want (unless you have huge feet or want width for some other reason, 11 - 12 inches is plenty to support .50 cal ammo cansand walk on, but I go a little narrower on smaller boats)? There's lots of questions someone building your frame will/should ask you, the more answers you already know the less time wasted. Are you going to run a dry box? Sit on it or cooler? Hatch cover or table, or ? Do you want floor in captain's bay only or extending under front or rear bay? Etc.
But it all begins with measurements... I'm in SLC, PM me if you want to see some options or just talk.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Eddyline, all the way. Give them a call, make an appointment, drive down to Moab and inflate your boat in their lot. Work with them to take measurements and plan your frame. That way there's no mistakes and you can get exactly what you want. They will have lots of good suggestions for the perfect set-up.

Then take your frame to PowderWorks in SLC for a great $80 paint-job.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had a modular frame For over a year and have everything established and feel certain about the set up. I went with the modular so that I could play and plan what and where. I was definitely planning on talking in person with the builder with My current frame

·
Registered
125 Posts
I build custom aluminum frames, dry boxes, etc in Salt Lake on the side--all laser cut parts, tig only, powder coated anything Prismatic offers. Thus far I've only built for friends, pm me if you wanna chat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently had SLC based Thad DeHart build a frame for my NRS E180, I'm very happy with it, Thad's a great guy to work with, he's a experienced boater so he was helpful with design. He delivered on time, nice tig welds, reasonable prices. He also builds dry boxes. Give him a call at (801) 564-7887

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you have him bend pipe or just weld the diamond in. I believe I had him weld some tabs on my dry box. Is his shop off
3300 and I15?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking to have a Double rail diamond plate raft frame built. Any frame builders in the SLC area?
Have you checked out Recretec frames? They are not in SLC but he ships anywhere. We have two frames from him, they are amazing. We don't need a ton of straps and everything fits perfectly. Also, the owner is awesome and will make sure that you get the EXACT setup that you want - I really cannot speak more highly of Recretec.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I recently had SLC based Thad DeHart build a frame for my NRS E180, I'm very happy with it, Thad's a great guy to work with, he's a experienced boater so he was helpful with design. He delivered on time, nice tig welds, reasonable prices. He also builds dry boxes. Give him a call at (801) 564-7887
May I ask why you did Lopros on the end crossbars and inner side rails? Is it so you can still break down the frame?
Seems these two locations are generally welded and/or pinned on custom frames using LoPros since the decks are welded anyway...to save both weight and cost.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The welds look great but that is some questionable use of kinda' expensive (for most of us...) fittings... I can see being able to break down the outside decks and crosspieces - do that with my frames - but that outside corner fitting serves no purpose and is lost on me... Nice to see a 5 bay frame that adjusts.
Another design factor on double rail frames is where to land the rails. This one all the weight is on the outside rail, the inner rail is hanging out over thin air and not providing any support. If you work with the diameter of your tubes to land the rails so the decking is supported on both sides you have a more bomber setup that is easier on your boat...

·
Registered
24 Posts
May I ask why you did Lopros on the end crossbars and inner side rails? Is it so you can still break down the frame?
Seems these two locations are generally welded and/or pinned on custom frames using LoPros since the decks are welded anyway...to save both weight and cost.

View attachment 58962
Yep, I'll be able to break it down when flying out from the Tat. Negligible weight difference, I'm a fan of Low Pro's and 6061 Aluminum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts