Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
When are you wanting to go. i could do tomorrow day.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Better get on it now. It appears that Denver Water is going to close the canyon starting August 2nd so they can dredge the revservoir.

Waterton Canyon Closure FAQs | Denver Water

I have been watching that website as well trying to determine if that will affect boating Waterton. The closure they are talking about and the road is all below the reservoir and not the normal access to the run. I have not seen anything about the put-in for Waterton being closed, not to say it won't since you do float into Strontia.....

Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would like to do an after work run monday 7/19 5:30 at the T intersection. If the water stays up on Foxton if not waterton would be good!
RandyP

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Sounds like it is the lower canyon between Strontia and Chatfield.Nobody boats this ,although there are a few light rapids and a dam like the one on SBC only bigger and deadly.It is access to the Colorado Trail. It's popular for mtn.bikes and hiking with a herd of bighorns in there.

I wonder how this will affect flows above and below .Maybe they will release down the town run ,late summer play.Will they want less water in there to dredge?Hope not,Deepsouth said they may be running more down the NF to prepare for repairs on Roberts Tunnel or some such thing.Ideally they would drain Chatfield while opening up Cheeseman and Roberts to flush Strontia.Hey A GUY CAN DREAM CAN'T HE :D

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
I called Denver Water a few days ago and spoke with someone at the 'Recreation Questions' number listed on the website about this. She confirmed that there will be no affect to the run above Strontia Reservoir (the 'kayakers' Waterton). What is affected is the hiker/biker trail leading up to the dam and access to the Colorado Trail.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So get your damn boat out and lets go paddle Laurie!
RandyP

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Randy - I would love to paddle with you! It has been too long. Perhaps Thursday if the water holds...

·
Registered
579 Posts
anyone up for it today.....3ish?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Laurie would love too let me know, I was just bustin your chops. I know you spend all summer in a big rubber bus running big nasty water heard you gave up yakin. Anthony i can't get there untill 5:30 i put up a post looks like I have one taker if you can't find anyone for earlier join us!

·
Registered
579 Posts
RandyP... sorry got be back in town this evening. you know beer and music.
have fun.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Randy - Looks like the water is being turned off... wish I could have been able to do it earlier in the week... oh well. We will have to catch up some other time.

I still KAYAK! Raft has been in dry dock since Idaho, but she will be coming back soon!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts