Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With everything drying up, I thought there might be a few people out there who would be delighted to discover the intermediate season is not quite over yet.

Foxton Creek is a nice way to extend things if you keep your eye on the gauges to catch the semi-frequent releases. I was pleasantly surprised when some other boaters took me on a hunt to find this run last year.

These 2 links have photos and videos of the run. The first link is the most thorough.
http://www.savagesnow.com/whitewater_kayaking/pdhtml_kayak_paddling/pd046_kayaking_foxton_creek.html
The second link shows Foxton's most significant playhole up close.
http://www.savagesnow.com/whitewater_kayaking/pdhtml_kayak_paddling/pd047_foxton_creek_ed_lucero_pfd.html

A small step up from Foxton is Waterton Canyon in the same area. The Waterton Canyon journal entries will be uploaded soon as well.
-Dan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Several I've met have called the run Foxton Creek.
I assume it is technically the North Fork of the South Platte.

Should we discourage people from adding the creek designation?
I am open to correction.
-----
And should we discourage people from calling Shoshone...
Shoshonie.
I have heard that its proper pronounciation is "Shoshoan"
-----
But I will drop the "creeK" title from my Foxton entries if appropriate.
:)
Dan

·
Registered
580 Posts
Are we going to start calling the section upstream "Bailey Creek"? I think the North Fork of the South Platte is just fine or better yet, just call it Foxton, since that designates the section you are refering to.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Webster offers multiple pronunciations for Shoshone:
Pronunciation: sh&-'shOn, -'shO-nE; 'shO-"shOn
Variant(s): or Sho·sho·ni /sh&-'shO-nE/

Fortunately, that's totally irrelevant to the name of the run on the north fork of the S. Platte. Unfortunately, they don't have Foxton or Foxton Creek listed in the dictionary. Here on the Front Range, where drug use is limited to the weekends and holidays, it's called simply "Foxton" or "Foxton run" - I'd go with that.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Boy I was all fired up for a run down Bailey's or The Gore, but this Foxton Creek sure sounds like fun! :wink:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Foxton

Great intermediate run. Ran it last Sunday at just shy of 200cfs. Bony but runable, still some good holes to play in. :D

·
Registered
480 Posts
You can drive down Kennedy Gulch on Foxton Road and when you get to the North Fork of the South Platte River, you turn right. You can drive upstream until you hit the little burg/town of Foxton but you won't find Foxton Creek anywhere near the place.

As it was previously stated, most everyone just refers to it as Foxton.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just "Foxton" sounds good to me.
A simple word deletion is all I will need for my journal entries.

Oh no, wait! I have a graphic integrated into the site also using the "Creek" designation.
Dagnabbit... Another 5 minute chore to add to my list.

Could someone confirm the spelling of dagnabbit for me?
-Dan
http://www.savagesnow.com/whitewater_kayaking/1_learning_to_kayak_photos.html

·
Registered
580 Posts
Another tought. If we were in Mexico: The river would start as Bailey Creek until the confluence of Deer Creek where it would become Crosson's Creek until the confluence of Buffalo Creek where it would become Foxton Creek until the confluence of the South Fork where it would become Waterton Creek and so on...

Dagnabbit looks to be correct.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I live in Durango is there any way to tell when Bailey or Foxton will run? I would hate to drive all that way to get skunked.

·
Registered
499 Posts
No way of telling for sure when it will run, unless someone wants to bribe the watermasters... Typically the hotter and drier it is on the front range the more likely it is that Bailey/Foxton/Waterton/Chutes/etc... will run. I suppose we front rangers could do our part and water the shit out of our Kentucky Bluegrass lawns :wink: It's 180cfs right now, I have run it at 150cfs. I would not reccomend it below 250 though...

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Have Gary E call the Water Board up and order more water- he's got the number..... :lol:

(Yes, there's a funny story behind that- ask Edgeworth.)

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
Surfpimp said:
I live in Durango is there any way to tell when Bailey or Foxton will run? I would hate to drive all that way to get skunked.

I don't care what it is running; do not frive from Durango to run Foxton.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Can't you run Bailey and Foxton on the same trip. It is the same river, right? If you do both is it worth the drive from Durango? That is if I can figure a way to predict the water.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Can't you run Bailey and Foxton on the same trip. It is the same river, right? If you do both is it worth the drive from Durango? That is if I can figure a way to predict the water.
That would be a really loooooong day. There are several miles of mostly flatwater between the two runs. Bailey is 11 miles long, and 1000 times better than foxton in everyway. If you're that motivated double dip on Bailey and pass on foxton... :D

I would say if you are jonesin' to paddle and Bailey is 350cfs or higher it would be worth the drive.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Running Foxton after running Bailey would be like running Pumphouse after running Gore

Now to be fair to Foxton, it is a fun little class III run, the boulder garden at the start is neat, but doesn't last long enough. And there are sections of flatwater.

If you happen to be in the area, and the water is up, and you are spooked by class IV, then by all means run Foxton.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bailey is a great IV-V run and is worth the drive if you have other things to do in the area. However, running Bailey and then foxton would be like leaving a hot date to go play with your little brother.

I clicked on the Savage Snow link and found this in the article, " In addition to this new discovery, I have heard rumors of another interesting run in the area called Waterton Canyon." For people living in Durango or Summit County who may view these two runs as mysterious or elusive, I hate to tell you but any resemblence of mystery or elusion will be lost as you pull up and find 50 front rangers parked at the put-in. The only mystery to me is why so many people go there. :?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Adding to De La Boot's comments...

If you are where I was last season skillwise, Foxton and especially Waterton will be joyous discoveries.

Waterton is an unpleasant mile hike back out, but its best features are all concentrated at the end, so you can repeat them with a short walk. We usually ran the good stuff at least 3 times before walking all the way out.
----
Now that I have paddled Bailey and Gore, I would concede that Foxton and Waterton hold little allure.
But last season when I was only at career Paddle Day 46...
they were rompin' good times! :)
After reading a few of the leadup entries to those days at Savage Snow, you should be able to see very easily if Foxton and Waterton are runs you would be interested in.
http://www.savagesnow.com/whitewater_kayaking/pdhtml_kayak_paddling/pd046_kayaking_foxton_creek.html

And yes... I know I am a little slow in journal entry uploads. :)
I'm doing the best I can.
-Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts