Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The forest service answered my email today saying that the 4 Rivers permit calendars were now available. Good luck all

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
The 4 Rivers permit lottery applications started Dec. 1st. I got my "wishlist" in last Tuesday. Fingers & toes crossed!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't know if anyone will divulge any secrets, but how do I get on the Middle Fork?? I have been applying every year for 10 years with no luck. Why wont they go to a lottery or waitlist system?

I know you have a good chance if you go early or late season, but is it pure luck to get on in June?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Why wont they go to a lottery or waitlist system?
It is a lottery system for the Middle Fork. Pure luck of the draw. There is a wait list of sorts if you keep an eye on rec.gov for cancellations.

A weighted lottery has been discussed, but so far has not been implemented. The pros & cons with that system have been debated here on Mountain Buzz extensively in the past.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I cant believe people are applying already.. We still have two months of snowfall to observe..
I'm pretty sure were not going to know shit about the snowpack until April , may or even June this year! I forsee a very stressfull spring full of gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Last year the trick to increase your odds was to apply after the close date. The ppl who applied in the 24 hours after the close date/time had a the best odds of drawing in 2015. But who knew??

I've tried so many different approaches that I think its all luck.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Random luck. I've tried a number of different ways and I've only drawn a total of twice in 20+ years of applying for each of the four rivers, and the draw was for the same river almost 10 years apart. The most recent draw was through the new lottery system (one lottery application per river), it was a late season date, used my fourth date preference, which had less applicants than mid season dates.

My understanding of how it works is if your name is drawn in the lottery, the system looks at the dates you chose starting with the first preference and if that date is full, it moves to second, third, and then fourth as needed. If all four dates are full, even though your name was drawn, you're out of luck.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'm pretty sure were not going to know shit about the snowpack until April , may or even June this year! I forsee a very stressfull year full of gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands.

Snow seems to be shaping up good? Sure there is a lot of winter left. But I love making wild premature predictions based on no real facts. My prediction is that the rivers in Idaho will be +/- say 5% of the 20 year average. It will be a good year had by all.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Snow seems to be shaping up good? Sure there is a lot of winter left. But I love making wild premature predictions based on no real facts. My prediction is that the rivers in Idaho will be +/- say 5% of the 20 year average. It will be a good year had by all.
Yeah, I think it could go either way - be an epic year or bust - maybe even near average but my gut feeling is that won't be the case. In my recolection anything can happen in an el-nino but history says it will be much warmer up here than normal and that is likely to lead to a year like last year where runoff began in February.

Only time will tell.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Some of my group has inflexible vacation dates so the snowpack watch doesn't even matter.

How do you draw?

Get lots of people to enter
accept a sub-prime date
Repeat

claims to fame: Have drawn lottery permit for MFS or Main 7 years in a row, sometimes both. Last year we my first miss in the modern era.

Bragging off, thanks for listening to how awesome I am.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If someone wanted to go in the first couple weeks of august all you really need to do is go and wait at boundary. 3 days tops and youre on the water.

·
Registered
276 Posts
DBK, you sound like a fun mofo. When I draw my Selway permit this coming year (power of positive thinking) you will be the first one invited. Lots o bong passing, beer drinking, and maybe a fight or two. I think you'd fit right in!:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have back to back Middle Fork/ Main permits for May 18 and 27.
Launched last season on May 20, 4 feet and sweet!
Farmers Almanac says wet and warm, might be a repeat of last season.
Or not, figured it was worth 12 bucks just in case.
Probably have a few spots open....

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
135 Posts
I pulled a late May Selway a couple of years ago. Too bad it was 8 feet on launch day. I don't expect I'll ever pull another but I'm going to keep trying.

I have a good bunch of river friends and got on a main Salmon trip the next week. I had an amazing time.

The river gives and the river takes. Our job is to go with the flow. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts