Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to ski but I am thinking of skipping on my ski pass next year and doing more backcountry. The money I save on my ski pass ($560 Wolf Creek) I would like to put towards a trip to either Costa Rica or Mexico to do some kayaking. How much money do I need to stay down there and boat for 4-6 weeks. Airfare aside. I am leaning towards Costa Rica because I moved to Durango from San Diego and have done alot of surfing and traveling all over Mexico and would like to see something different.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
:D

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I just got back from San Luis Potosi. The most expensive thing there is the gas at around $2.50 USD per gallon. Other than that, the food is super cheap. I spent around $500 and spent two weeks there, but that included driving my car from boulder and mexican car insurance.
Joe

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is that and how was the boating? Did you bring your kayak? How long of a drive was it? Thanks for the info.
:D

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The best boating in SLP is about 8 hours from Laredo, TX or about 30 hours driving from Boulder. It's maybe 400 miles NE of Mex City. I brought my play boat and my creek boat, but if I went again, I wouldn't bring the play boat. A lot of the rivers there are traverntine so there is extremely little play except for occasional eddy lines or freewheels off waterfalls. We were there for low water, although it was supposed to be pretty good compared to the same time last year. We ran the Salto, Micos, Santa Maria and Ojo Frios sections. The salto had an excellent 25ft drop with a cushy landing and one serious CL V drop along with several 3ish drops. The micos is a classic for its 7 easy waterfalls. The santa maria is an epic section that requires a flatwater paddle and 400ft verticle climb to exit. It is similar to the narrows of the Green (i've heard), but without gorilla, sunshine, etc.
Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts