Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6 1" and the wife is 5 3"
We switch back and forth at the oars
I currently have the nrs deluxe foot rest but its a hassle to adjust on the fly. What are some solutions to this issue

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
Matt, That's a lot of difference in your height but if you've got a high-back seat, try putting a PFD behind her so it scoots her forward in the seat.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply Andy.
The background is that my wife was a professional raft guide for 6 years. I'm the raft novice. So we are looking for a solution that will allow us both to be in optimal positions to run difficult rapids with the kids on board.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
Got it - not the usual situation. In that case, if you wear kneepads the oarhandles won't hurt so much when you bang them into your knees... :)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rafters are just as big of smart asses as kayakers. Good to know. ;)
Very unusual situation, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Come on Andy, surely you've got something up your sleeve to resolve this.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
you could pre drill holes for the foot rest in both locations and use the quick pins through the pipe instead if a set screw.

we did that on ours, it is solid and takes a second to move it.

our foot rest has quick pins to adjust the foot brace angle already, so we just pulled the set screws, drilled the holes and used the quick pins at the frame rail as well.

i would note, i did pull the fittings, pollished the shit out of the insides of the fittings and scrubbed a pencil inside the fitting all around.

graphite is a lubricant, helps the aluminum slide. easy peasy.

let me know if you want some help.

EDIT: seeing as your wife is the guide, if any of this baffles you, no pun intended, have her read it, it should make sense.

ha

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'm 6 1" and the wife is 5 3"
We switch back and forth at the oars
I currently have the nrs deluxe foot rest but its a hassle to adjust on the fly. What are some solutions to this issue
+1 on bobbuilds comment. We did the same (DRE frame). I (6'2"), my wife (5'6") and my daughter (5'1") can all row with our setup with a simple hole-pin change.

I also have my cooler setup up higher in the bay directly fore of my footbay so that they can row from there as well. No real foot rest when they are there but since they are not sitting as far back as they would on the cap'n seat, they can use the dry box (under me) for leverage.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Must be nice.

I'm 6'-6", my wife is 5'-4".
Not really. The differential is more between me and my daughter. 17" for our combo and only 14" for yours. Of course if she doesn't want to row then it's moot :)

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
At least one of y'all speaks Rafterese in the family... :)

Before drilling holes in the NRS frame, I think Glen's idea of some cam-lock quick release nuts on the NRS kickbar would work really well for what you're looking for. That, with some pre-set marks on the frame for where the kickbar should go for each of you should let you to switch out in about a minute. Whatever you settle on it will be helpful to have a block of wood or rubber mallet handy on the river just to make it easier to move the kickbar into place (yeah, like you need any more gear when you go rafting...with kids...).

But wait, you'll also need to move the oar towers. Looks like you might as well just get another raft!

Let us know how it goes,

-AH

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Not really. The differential is more between me and my daughter. 17" for our combo and only 14" for yours. Of course if she doesn't want to row then it's moot :)
The "must be nice" part was about your wife being a rower. Listing my height was purely sarcasm. :lol:

My oldest daughter is already 5'-6" and rapidly growing.
...and she wants to be a raft guide.
I love that she wants to row. I'm terrified of her living with a bunch of horny raft guides for the summer! :lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is the first thing that comes to mind,

NRS Deluxe Foot Bar at nrs.com

I have one in my small boat, it is not super hard to grab a ratchet and reconfigure things.

I think of how more more storage space would be available if I was a smaller person. Bigger cooler, bigger drybox etc...

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I have a question for those of you that use the NRS deluxe foot bar. Do the Lopros on the cross bar interfere with your cooler or cooler latches? I use a AAA foot bar/cross bar, and my cooler sits on the cross bar (no drop bag or slings). I want a foot bar with better "toe hooks" for bracing, instead of just the loop. I'm looking for options for my NRS frame. What do you think of the foot pegs on the NRS as opposed to a straight across solid bar for hooking in the toes?
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The "must be nice" part was about your wife being a rower. Listing my height was purely sarcasm. :lol:

My oldest daughter is already 5'-6" and rapidly growing.
...and she wants to be a raft guide.
I love that she wants to row. I'm terrified of her living with a bunch of horny raft guides for the summer! :lol:
No worries. I'm still trying to get her to row more. I think on our last trip my daughter rowed more than my wife. My wife has a mental block on being able to make the raft do what she wants without thinking really hard. She'll often start pushing the oars or pulling them when the opposite is needed. She is also challenged by what pulling the left oar and pushing the right will do based on where the bow is pointed often taking the "long way" around when spinning the raft.

And....as you know....I'm always wrong with the way I teach :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cataraftgirl

I love being able to lock in my feet to the deluxe foot bar. Usually I will lock on foot to the footbar, and brace my other foot against the drybox wall below me. This allows me to sit forward and push while still being attached to the foot bar.

This was one of my only footbar options for my 13' Hyside. I have not had any problems with the lo pros messing with my cooler, unless I try to pivot it to a flat position (for transport) before taking the cooler out.

Hope this made sense.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Easy

Put an aluminum sliding seat bracket under the seat. Adjusts in five seconds.
This would be great. I currently have a DRE frame and my chair flips over my dry box. Anyone have a similar setup and moved to a sliding seat?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts