Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I have a 66" wide NRS frame. I was hoping to use their Deluxe Football but I am looking into the dimensions at the width is wider than the available room in my bay, which is roughly 24" between the two rocket boxes I hang in there. The bay in front of the rowers compartment is currently a drop bag with an old wooden bench we made years ago for a bigger rig (might be some adjustments I can make there).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have a little wiggle room with the rocket boxes and hangers as well as another .5-1" of space before I max out my side bars; anybody use one of the deluxe bars and can give some insight? Any manufacturers who make pieces for NRS frames?

Thanks in advance.

Phillip

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't have much else to offer other than a measurement - my deluxe is 33.5" from tip of lopro to tip of lopro on the foot stubs. Could you rig your rocket boxes on your side bars?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, we just dropped about $100 on Stitches and Stuff rocket box hangers which we really love. Our friend had them for years and finally made the commitment before our test run down Ruby/Horsethief.

What sort of angle (measured from crossbar) have you found you prefer with the deluxe bar? Do you keep it fairly aggressive towards the rower or closer to 90 to the crossbar?

The deluxe is tempting as we may not always need to carry the toilet and other rocket box on groups trips that we carry on solo trips. On the trips where the rocket boxes aren't there it opens up an option for tinkering and using it to its full advantage.

Phillip

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've got it raked back toward the rower by about 15 degrees, which has proven to be a really comfortable angle to rest my feet on and get leverage in a couple different positions. I have it on a 13' Otter with 18" tubes, so I can't get it straight vertical anyway.

·
Registered
205 Posts
NRS sells individual lopro's and NRS pipe by the foot. You could build a footbar to fit any size and shape you want. Simplest is 2 pieces of pipe and 2 lopro's to make an inverted T kickbar. 3 pieces of pipe and 4 lowpro's gets you a U shaped kickbar.

DRE and AAA I believe also sell a crossbar with a welded U kickbar. You could call them and see if they'd customize to your specs.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NRS sells individual lopro's and NRS pipe by the foot. You could build a footbar to fit any size and shape you want. Simplest is 2 pieces of pipe and 2 lopro's to make an inverted T kickbar. 3 pieces of pipe and 4 lowpro's gets you a U shaped kickbar.
Yeah, I was debating that option. I have two pieces of leftover pipe after I canablalized my Cat frame for our recently bought self bailer. I need to measure them but that is also a desirable option as it saves us some $$, at least the T-Bar route. Would need to figure out a route to secure them as the low-pros they sell individually don't have the bolt holes from what I understand. I am sure I could find a local machine shop to do so but I am hesitant to drill them with the limited equipment I have (would be worried about centering them properly to avoid damage).

The benefit of the T-Bar is immense since I could use it on any rig and at many angles. Very adaptable.

Phillip

·
Registered
205 Posts
Correct. You will have to drill out the bolt holes for the lowpro's. But if the only thing going into it is the pieces of a footbar build you don't really need a machine shop or even a drill press. If you had access to a drill press I'd use it but honestly a hand drill will get you really close, and get you on the water pretty easily. Some paper or painters tape to shim if you need to get the LoPro to pipe fitting snug helps. Also a vice grip, or attaching the LoPro fitting to part of the frame, will keep it stable enough to hand drill with pretty reasonable results. Finish it up with a SS bolt and nylock nut. Done.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I've had two made at DRE- my frames are both the same diameter as std NRS frame tubing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
206 Posts
What Oregon Rafter says.

I would only modify it to say build the U-shape but use Speed Rail or similar fittings for the bottom corners. They are cheaper, lighter and lower profile. Those ones don't need to be as strong either. I'm not speaking from experience, but I'm not sure that one LoPro clamped to the crossbar in the "T" configuration would be strong enough to resist the force that could be applied to it.

I always put a cooler or drybox in front of the rower's compartment so I don't have this problem...

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What Oregon Rafter says.

I would only modify it to say build the U-shape but use Speed Rail or similar fittings for the bottom corners. They are cheaper, lighter and lower profile. Those ones don't need to be as strong either. I'm not speaking from experience, but I'm not sure that one LoPro clamped to the crossbar in the "T" configuration would be strong enough to resist the force that could be applied to it.

I always put a cooler or drybox in front of the rower's compartment so I don't have this problem...
Gonna look around a little more.

I normally row with the dry box in front but the 1989 Avon is an odd size so the bench is a little narrow for my wife's taste. It now sits in front of the rower's compartment. We may come up with a different solution though.

Thanks for all of the advice so far.

Phillip

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Another thumbs up for DRL. Dusty made a custom size for me. Works great & I like the double rail on it to hook in my toes. He uses LoPro fittings.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Here is mine, kind of like the NRS deluxe, with a bar to hook with your toes in on when you start to fall out.
Looks pretty pointy... I'd be worried about smacking one of those angles with a leg. Interesting design for sure, though. You had the crossbar with the latch cutouts too, right? Do you do your own fab?

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
NRS will custom make the "deluxe" foot bar at whatever width you would like. Call the office and get transferred to the shop. They will line it out with you and the transfer you back to the office to pay. I had one made for my super puma and it came out really nice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Buy a stick and brackets at NRS, Find a electrician (commercial or industrial) that has a bender, give him case of beer and the dimensions you want. I believe it fits the 1-1/4" shoe.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks pretty pointy... I'd be worried about smacking one of those angles with a leg. Interesting design for sure, though. You had the crossbar with the latch cutouts too, right? Do you do your own fab?
Mostly, I farm out some welding, the pointyness is a concern. I will likely mitre another piece into the corner or build another one once I decide if I like it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts