Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone still interest in doing the event?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Don,

I am totally into it. I know of several others that were not only planning on it, but actually made some pretty good Foamies! Don't know what happened to the original dates, but some cold ones and a foamie race could be really fun!

I say we set up a Poll to see who would be into it... Some folks seemed to be confused about what a foamie is. For anyone not familiar, they are basically a 5 to 10 inch kayak with a boater made of of wood usually or maybe minicell. They actually do some pretty cool stuff when put in the right conditions. It's a big thing in the SE for those jonsers that can't get enough... LIKE ME!!!

I don't have a picture of one, but this video is pretty sick.

Check it out...

http://www.big-o-productions.com/Clips/painkillers.mov

Name the day Don.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Foaming

Craw-

It's mostly my fault, I let things slip until the last moment. BUT- Stan is here, and he's here to rock your world. Stan appeared after a few sixers and a day away from the shop. I'll leave it at that.

We should set a new date. Maybe Lincoln's B-Day Feb 12th. It's a Thursday and Jon will be back to cover the shop.

For anyone who is not in the know about Foamie's: They are just would Craw said. A foam kayaker (or wood- depending on time and effort), about 10 inches long, and weighted on the bottom (self-rolling). If you need foam- stop by the shop- it's on the house (not an army of foamie's- just enough for one per person). Stan will be at the front desk to answer questions.

Those of you who need more of a fix: I give you Painkillers 2.
http://www.big-o-productions.com/Clips/painkillers_2.mov

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops...

Give a shout out and let us know who's in and what times and dates work.

Here's a tip in making your foamie: The bigger you make it the easier it is to get the detail you looking for. But, don't make it too big. Foam costs money.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well, hmmm

In the interest of giving everyone the chance to build there winning Foamie, I say we bump it out a bit...

My guess at a good date is Sunday, March 7th. Let's do it, say... around noon. Assuming that the Platt isn't frozen solid. Or maybe someone has a better idea?

Some good spirits, good friends, and whitewater fun are a tough combo to beat.

Does that interest anyone???

Don, let me know your thoughts as I know you have things to do later on Sundays (myers).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Foam good. Don good. Don foam?

Friday's later afternoon generally good.

Foam on!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Marty and Don,
I am in still. I have a wooden foamie ready to go but I think I will make one out of foam with a kayaker. I am in highlands so let me know. Jamie

·
Registered
5 Posts
After watching Painkillers I and II (super cool, 4 stars, a must see, those guys Scream and Nitro are better yakers than me, which I guess isn't saying much), I immediately sat down and carved my first foamie. I used my S6 as a model, and made the boat first, then a paddler, which I glued to the boat, using a toothpick for support. I used an empty Bic pen tube for a paddle shaft and glued on some foam blades, then glued on the paddle. Of course I had to test it, so I filled up the tub and started playing like a kid with a new toy. Without any weights added, my foamie can roll up on the left by himself, and on the right with some simulated current (splashing water around with my hand.) He boofs the shower curtain very well, and almost always does a perfect flip and lands upright. He does get stuck upside down if he's leaning forward onto the paddle.

So, should I add weights? What kind? And has anyone looked at Boulder creek or Clear creek lately to see if there is a slight flow to test him in? Or are they frozen? I had no idea how fun these foamies are, but now I'm hooked.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Clear Creek is not frozen now. I'd imagine your foamie would put on quite a show at the old bottom hole (right in front of the bleachers). Wish I had that kind of time....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Foamie Race @ Gunnison Whitewater Fest

Foam heads,
There's a foamie downriver race as part of the Gunnison Whitewater Fest on Sunday June 27th 2004 at the gunnison whitewater park. Expecting 100+ foamies, beer, and schwag.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have been unsuccesfull connecting with the two links listed below. What exactly is the Foamy Fest? Toy boats you put on the river and watch them run it and drink beer? That is my best guess from the posts I have read. Sounds great!

The Gunnison Whitewater Festival sounds like fun, I think I will be there this year.

·
Registered
911 Posts
cosurf...

You need to have quicktime installed in order for it to play...I assume that is the only problem as I just watched it again.

Also... Yes, you are correct this is serious jonsing material!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Brian

Is there going to be a down river race again? I raced last year. I will bring my foamie. ~Jamie

·
Registered
7 Posts
FOAMIES ARE FUN!!!!

I hear the best foamie race in the state of Colorado is happening in Gunnison! ROCK ON BRYAN and the Gunnison Whitewater Festival fro more info call Bob"makin it happen"Jones at (970)943-7131

·
Registered
8 Posts
its not fair!!!!!! i live in the uk and i want a foamie!!!!!! but i cant find a single website that sells them that is british......i know this is an american site though.......i wan tto kayak in americA!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts