Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new drybox and I'm looking for a foam cover for the top. Anyone find anything cool out there? My kitchen box has black foam, but I'd like to replace the cover on both dryboxes and add some to my cooler. Preferably light colored. I did a search, but didn't find anything. Anyone had do do this lately?
The new drybox is going under my seat and it's going to be a big sun reflector if I don't put something on it. That could leave some really interesting tan lines and probably burn my butt. Hmmm...
Suggestions?

Kim

·
Registered
556 Posts
northshoreinc.com

they are the ones that make most of the ones sold. ordering direct is ALOT cheaper and will be exactly what you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In Colorado Springs try IPI Group. (719)-633-5351 They are located at 3337 North Cascade St. You can get a 4' X 8' piece for a lot less than some retailers sell smaller pieces for.

·
Super Moderator
2,981 Posts
I don't like ethafoam at all.

I got some 1/2 inch closed cell foam in white from a pool supply place. The top of my seat box has held up for four years of 25-30 days a year use and it sheds water really nicely and doesn't trap sand like etha, sorry for the runon sentence it's hard for me to stop

·
Registered
44 Posts
Those are great suggestions - thanks.

For what it's worth, I just bought a blue closed cell foam sleeping pad from Wally Mart for $5.88 as a temporary solution to sit on. I plan to cut it and affix it somehow to a piece of plywood that'll sit on my frame as my seat. I'll upgrade as I am able to dial in my rig...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't recommend the cheap blue sleeping pad option. I glued one to my dry box and it gets super slippery when it's wet- slimy almost. It's bad enough as a walking surface, I think it'd be terrible as a seat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got you covered. I have a bunch of minicell foam scraps left over from making riverboards. It's the best foam out there for flotation, its food grade, and better yet it's free. I'm in Georgetown.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome!

I got you covered. I have a bunch of minicell foam scraps left over from making riverboards. It's the best foam out there for flotation, its food grade, and better yet it's free. I'm in Georgetown.
Can you PM me your info? That would be fantastic. I was actually pricing that stuff online the other day.

Kim

·
Super Moderator
2,981 Posts
What do you guys use to attach the foam to the dry box?
On the foam I have I have used contact cement. Both the water based ( more non-toxic) and the regular stuff ( use the respirator gnarly shit), both seem to be holding up pretty well. I think the gnarly stuff is slightly stickier.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Second the no on the blue foam pad. Mine sucks. Gets beat up really easily and slicker than piss on a toilet seat.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What do you guys use to attach the foam to the dry box?
3M makes a spray contact cement. I have used it for years in kayaks and on my dry box. I use it on Mini cell and it has always worked awesome. You can buy it at Home Depot. Spray it on both pieces you will glue together and let it sit for a bit till the glue gets tacky then do another coat, wait till it gets tacky then stick'em together and trim of the excess with sharp razor. Don't stick them together too soon or it will not hold well and sand and crap will get under it and it'll wind up peeling off.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I've always used ethafoam, glued on with the 3M spray adhesive. I do agree that it gets rough after awhile, and holds sand that can do a number on knees. Last spring I got a sheet a peel & stick minicell from Cascade Outfitters to pad the top of a cooler. Not as thick as the ethafoam, but easy to put on, and seems great so far.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Wet burlap bags or wet, old cotton blanket on coolers...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Custom Jacks plastic pads. Not as expensive as I was expecting and sweet. Choose your colors, softness, thickness.

Parker

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sea Dek. it is kind of expensive but will last Alot Longer Than Foam. I Plan On Doing My Drybox When The Ethafoam Gets Aweful. Old Boat Glue For Your Rubber Works really well To Fix It To What You Want.(Contact Cement, In Other Words).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts