Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for sharing your project.

That axle looks very far back, so I hope your not pulling with a Subaru or your going to risk being squatted. Otherwise look nice.
Feel free to publish cost and time for the benefit of other DIY people.
Thanks Jake, that axle is a ways back, the long wide wheelbase sure tows nice. Empty the tongue is light enough you can pick it up and wheel the trailer around the driveway, I cant say I've tried that with a boats on there but it might be doable. I've never towed with a Subaru, I'd guess a Subaru would handle this trailer alright, especially if you kept weight further back. Hell they should handle it suspension wise every Subaru I've ever been in rides rougher than most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.3

So far I have probably 12 hours into cutting and welding the steel cross members.
My journeyman carpenter dad and I spent probably 8 hours getting the deck cut, spaced evenly and screwed down.
I've spent countless hours researching lights, rollers, composite decking screws that can go into steel etc.

Trailer's o.k..... That orange truck is B.A.
Thanks! I got that truck when I was 13 or 14, its been real good to me. It just ran a big load of green aspen logs home last week.

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I modified brackets that were used for holding jetskis to this trailer to hold a tail roller. The roller axle is 5/8" hot rolled steel with nylon washers between the ends and the brackets. I also installed rock lights wired as reverse lights to automatically kick on when you back up.

Attachments

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Next I added a mast. This gave me a place to mount a winch, I also installed a roller/bow holder used on this trailer for holding jetskis, it allowed me to pull from a higher angle than where the winch was mounted, it worked fine but didn't seem to make a big difference on performance. On top of the mast I installed two flood lights, these are run off a switch that gets power from the marker light circuit, no cutting in my dash and the lights will work on any truck I stick the trailer on. Flood lights are intended for night backing, setting up camp in the dark and seeing in boats to grab gear/ rig derig in the dark.

Attachments

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
A friend cut and bent sheet metal for me to fill in behind the fenders, I cut and welded it to fit. Wide boats would be pretty close to the tires on either side, I pulled over too often to check to make sure they weren't going to get munched by the tires.

One of my goals for this trailer was to make it low/ versatile enough it can be used for than just boats. Turns out the winch is good for loading more than just rafts.

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts