Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a raft partly for flyfishing use. And it's getting its first use in that regard this weekend. It's a 13'10" hypalon, with a welded steel rowing frame. Has anyone come up with a brilliant method for storing fully assembled flyrods? I'm thinking of just zip-tying some PVC or plastic electrical conduit tubing on. But maybe somebody here found da bomb of rod storage?

·
Registered
113 Posts
The main guideline is a pvc tube that will support the rod tip to tail. The one I like best is 10' or 9.5' tubes. Do 2-3 side by side. 1.5" or 2" tubing. It needs to be cut open on the top half allowing the rod to be dropped directly in (parallel to the water postion) something like 90 degrees of the total dia, enough to fit the grip. You don't want to slide a rod in the tube like on most dories because it creates extra wear on the graphite and epoxy. To secure the rod, take a 2" long slighter large dia tube and make the same cut. This piece can then be rotated around the main tube. The idea is to open it to set the rod in and then rotate over. The end of the tube needs to be capped as well. This traps the reel in a upright postion between the cap on the tube and the twisting sleeve. The concept should be applied to both ends allowing for 2 rods. I think it would be good to make a base for the 2-3 tubes that secures them together and then allows you to secure/remove the rodholders from the raft frame (mine are always attached). My current rig just has the long tubes and I bungee the reelseat inplace. The problem is the when people get in/out of the boat they hit the reels and knock them around. Anything upright will get caught in trees and anything unsupported underneath will get broken.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts