Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone been down the Grand lately and tried your luck at fishing? The last time I floated the river the fly fishing was amazing through marble canyon, but that was before the electro shocking and massive trout kill to try to reduce predation on the native fish. I'm launching soon and wondering if its worth packing the fly rod.

Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
if the water is going to be clear you will be very happy. On our late November trip we did not have a proper rod, but with a sewing needle, stick and a line we caught some nice looking brownies but missed some of the bigger ones, so definitely bring your rod, if anything it will be a great way to kill time and get drunk

·
SarahofTheWaves
395 Posts
I do not fish. BUT from what I have seen.
Side creeks are good. Nankoweep.
Also hear that bass fishing is good on Lake Mead if going to the lake.

s

·
Registered
11 Posts
You'll burn in hell for having this much fun.

TomT, I covet your lifestyle. call me when you get back from the grand. I'd love to catch up.
yer friend,
Jamie

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TomT, I covet your lifestyle. call me when you get back from the grand. I'd love to catch up.
yer friend,
Jamie
Jamie;
Heard that you are hitting the Doloras with Hessling. Good luck. Had to back out of a Selway trip in June. Wedding. Talk to you soon

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just got back from the Grand yesterday. It was running clear all the way to Diamond, though stormy weather in the area is probably going to change that soon if it hasn't already. There were crews electroshocking around the mouth of the Little Colorado, but that seems to be the only place they are doing that.

The fishing up to 10 miles or so before the Little Colorado is excellent, and it picks up again down the line. I caught a bunch of rainbows in the eddy just above the camp across from Deer Creek.

·
Registered
154 Posts
They usually shock from Saddle Canyon area, maybe up as far as P-Harding, and down to Lava-Chuar. They can cover that whole area from their camp above the LCR with their Osprey's and Sport boats. And they do it at night, so during the day they are usually always at that camp which is why you may not have seen them doing their thing. This was the first shocking trip in a couple years, so the fish should still be around for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts