Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What determines if section is "N/A" or if it is "Ice Null" on the flows page? I got desperate (yes, very desperate) and went down to the Clear Creek Play Park this evening. I just got back and tried to check the flows but the site shows no numbers. It felt like maybe 40 but it was kind of hard to tell.

COUNT

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'll admit it. I went there too today. I think it may have been as high as 50 cfs. You can't surf but you can do sweet ice spins on the frozen eddy below the bleacher hole. I think we need to admit to ourselves that its not boating season yet.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. I don't feel nearly as bad hearing that I wasn't the only one. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it there until dusk, so it felt even colder than it been all day (or maybe it had something to do with the fact that my gear was all still wet from the pool session last night). I paddled down past the drop after bleachers and found it completely blocked up by a big ice dam. Who would have thought that the Golden Play Park could have a must make eddy? The USGS site had 44 down for the historical average so that's what I put down in my log. That sounds about right, too. I never had to admit it wasn't boating season, see, I've always considered March 1st the beginning of the new season (but then again, this is the first season I've paddled on February 28th).

COUNT

·
Registered
882 Posts
Now I don't feel so silly for considering going there. But I ended up in Lost Creek Wilderness.

FYI the NF is still quite unboatable in case anyone is wondering, but the SF looked good to go for all the newbies jonesin' to start the season early.

·
Registered
214 Posts
with the nice weather this past weekend I couldn't take it any longer. my brother and I paddled Waterton on Friday afternoon. It was running, but thats about it. We scraped our way down to Green Bridge where we had to take out due to an ice bridge. Was still a beautiful float and it felt great to get back in the boat.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey,
I haven't been able to find many people willing to go out right now. Let me know if anyone decides to do any day/afternoon trips in the next month. I'd be up for CC, Waterton, Deckers, the Colorado, Ark, etc. Any posts, e-mail, or pm's would be great! See you on the River.

COUNT

·
Registered
429 Posts
To answer your first question COUNT: At least at golden, the gauge is located near where 6th ave crosses the river. There's a flat spot in the river that is nearly always iced up this time of year. So, the gauge reads "Ice Null" because the gauge is frozen. I'd presume this is the case for most of the gauges. For example, Shoshone flows all year, but shows Ice Null all winter on the flows page.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Then I'm assuming that the flow tabs that read "N/A" are the ones that aren't Ice Null but simply don't have enough water to get a good reading, right?

COUNT

·
Registered
429 Posts
Don't know about flows marked N/A. You might consider getting on phateye.com and contacting the site admin. They ought to know.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Count,
If the weather stays nice,thinking of duckying Waterton with a sledge hammer to break up the ice on Tuesday or Weds. afternoon.It,s been running 250 -300, lame but better than nothin'. It's time to start cleaning up wood on our creeks,break out the chainsaws!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Was up at Waterton Friday afternoon. It is clear of ice from top-to-bottom. Was even able to get a little buried in some of the holes. It may be early still, but boating season has arrived!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone up for something on the FR on Sunday?

COUNT

·
Registered
214 Posts
COUNT--I'd be down to run something with you but we are supposed to be getting more snow on Sunday. PM me if you are heading down. Also, the following weekend it is supposed to be (still 8 days out) much nicer and warm. I'd def. be willing to run something then.

·
Registered
200 Posts
crc has had trouble with there flow page but if your looking to get out and play a little bit the upper salida hole is perfect. 500-550 daily but it has been cold lately, but i have gone over from gunnison every sat sun with my buddie john and we where throwing down loops and back loops all day and cartwheeling just fine, its pretty sticky and we played for a good 2 hours. so if you wanna boat then salida is the place right now. one thing to watch out for is window shading cause you will mess your paddle up good if you do that but other than that your good :D :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts