Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For any one running the Navigator 150 on a 16 boat, resting the lip of the cooler on the frame, how much clearance do yo have between the bottom of your cooler and the floor of the boat?

I really like the concept of the mounting lip, but want to make sure it would give me enough floor clearance on the 16 foot set up I am planning.

I run a lot of low volume, technical rivers and like to have a few inches of clearance between the floor and any coolers, dry boxes or decks hanging down, to prevent pinching the floor when you have go got over rocks, etc.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I assume you mean Navigator 150. Prospector is 103.
It’s going to depend on your boat as tube, floor, & frame specs are different. It’s ~13 1/4” from the top of frame. Most 16’ boats with 22” (or larger) tubes with 1 5/8” dia frame (i.e. NRS) should have plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It depends on your boat. I know it isn't the right height for my rafts. Other issue is you can't run it under a flip seat. Canyon makes nice coolers though.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am running a Hyside 16.0 XT with a DRE diamond plate Gunnison Frame for context and the Prospector 103. When I loaded the cooler into the loaded boat in the water, on my boat, the cooler grazed the floor, but just barely. When I decided I wanted to put in a solid floor (I used 3/4" MDO, fwiw), I had to be able to adjust the height of the cooler as well as the drybox to compensate. I cut shims out of scrap 3/4" MDO that were about four inches long and used double sided gorilla tape to attach them to the cooler and drybox mounts. The gorilla tape worked great for the dry boxes, but didn't stick well to the cooler during transport, so I dropped some pilot holes into the MDO and ran some small screws into the cooler to hold the lift blocks in place and it has worked wonderfully. All that to say, what makes that cooler great for me was the ability to build lifts and customize the height of the cooler without reducing it's stability in the frame and to not have a sling system holding it up.
-Thomas
Fruita, CO

·
Registered
79 Posts
just curious because I’m considering this cooler. Are you gonna place this beast as your captain seat of further up front in another bay?

·
Registered
327 Posts
just curious because I’m considering this cooler. Are you gonna place this beast as your captain seat of further up front in another bay?
I know you're not asking me, but I run mine in the second bay back...drop bag with bench, then cooler with a scepter tank on both sides, captain's bay with day cooler and a captain's box, sitting on a dry box with a piece of plywood strapped on top with a low back chair chair mounted to it and a couple of cup holders drilled in.

·
Registered
AIRE 156R
126 Posts
I have a 156R with NRS frame and it is about an inch of clearance.
Badass cooler. But as mentioned in an earlier post, be ready to use it as the seat because you cannot have a flip seat. You also cannot “share” the crossbar with anything. Meaning you cannot have a table, for example, behind the cooler that rests on the crossbar. But I wouldn’t trade it in for anything. Did Deso last summer, in July, and still had ice at the take out.

·
Registered
328 Posts
From the Canyon Cooler Website for the 150.
  • Largest Outside Dimensions:
    Length: 42.48" (includes handle)
    Width: 22.77" (includes all of the upper lip)
    Height: 19.67"
  • Leave a 20.5" bay width for a raft frame
  • 13" from floor to bottom of lip rail
  • Approx 6" from the bottom of lip rail to the top of the cooler

·
Registered
42 Posts
For any one running the Navigator 150 on a 16 boat, resting the lip of the cooler on the frame, how much clearance do yo have between the bottom of your cooler and the floor of the boat?

I really like the concept of the mounting lip, but want to make sure it would give me enough floor clearance on the 16 foot set up I am planning.

I run a lot of low volume, technical rivers and like to have a few inches of clearance between the floor and any coolers, dry boxes or decks hanging down, to prevent pinching the floor when you have go got over rocks, etc.
I have 16 foot tributary with a DRE 4 bay frame. I think I have 22 inch tubes and I can get my foot under my Navigator when it is in the water, I would say 2-3 inches clear of the bottom. Great cooler and love that I don't have to add more straps or a bag to hold it.

·
Vendor
46 Posts
Canyon Coolers has what we call a fit kit, which is just some long strips of Aquatraction padding you can stick under the lip of the cooler if you need another inch. They are mostly for Prospectors if/when the center latch needs a little more clearance. It's not on our website so email or call us if you need any.

·
Vendor
46 Posts
As stated in other posts our lip does not share the bar well with other items. We usually sit on them down here in Arizona, flip seats are for coloradicals, ;) The back hinge on the 150 however is 'zero clearance' so that will work well with gear behind it. Our coolers can adapt well to kayak seats being added to the top without a lot of hassle. I hope that helped, otherwise DRE has worked with these a lot and is also a good source of info.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
282 Posts
Canyon Coolers has what we call a fit kit, which is just some long strips of Aquatraction padding you can stick under the lip of the cooler if you need another inch. They are mostly for Prospectors if/when the center latch needs a little more clearance. It's not on our website so email or call us if you need any.
Awesome. Would you send us a few strips?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Do you have any pictures of what this product looks like in use?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts