Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm a big fan of Water Wizard. Its the original flocculant solution other then the good ole Alum. It is essentially the same stuff that water treatment plants use, Poly Aluminum Chloride, to remove sediment but in the right concentration for use in small batches. Comes with a couple of syringes (primary and a backup) and you just add one syringe worth to 5 gallons of water, stir vigorously and come back in 20 minutes. Usually helps to pour the clarified water into another bucket after the sediment flocculates and drops to the bottom. One ~$20 kit will do about 250 gallons worth of water.

I know Ed, the guy who owns Water Wizard, recently retired from his day job as a water treatment plant engineer, so not sure if he is still selling the stuff. The 4crs kit looks to be very similar so that would probably work really well too.

One note, I've seen reports saying that flocculants can foul up some water filters so you should probably check to make sure they are compatible with yours if you are filtering water. They work great for dish water though and really make a difference.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
again, thanks to all for the info on water wizard and where to buy

Mt Buzz is the place to go for boating information!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Beside alum, any one know of good products to clear muddy river water for washing dishes etc
Does this mean that you are volunteering to wash dishes on your next trip? ;-)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only if you guys carry the 5 gallon buckets of clear water to the wash station!!!!!!

Any thing to get off groover duty LOL

dave

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
washing dirty dishes in clear steramine infused soapy water is a lot easier
than
dealing with a dirty messy groover whose user's aim was way off target !!

At least in my opinion !!!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm with Zach... I'd take Groover duty every day of the week over having to dishes. I love cooking and making the food, but the whole dishes process is my least favorite things about river trips (but to be clear I still participate in it). Groover duty is easy...takes 10 minutes when you get to camp and 10 minutes at the end.

If you are having to clean a significant amount of "material" off of the Groover when it gets packed up...then people are doing it wrong. Its an absolute requirement that people check their "work" and clean up after themselves. I'm that guy that cleans up after people when they leave it but I have zero problem being vocal about it when I get back to camp.

If you manage to do a rim shot... its your obligation to clean it up.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
peernisse,

I have and have used alum usually in a solution and it does work
But, my opinion, it takes a long time.
you may not be sure of the problem
here is a bit more to inform you, I am looking for other products or ways to get clear water from muddy river water a bit faster
your post does not help me in that search

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I guided commercially in Cataract, muddy water usually, we did not even use any alum or anything. Just need to get your water settling straight away. Good luck in your search for a solution to a problem that does not exist.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
This...

When I guided commercially in Cataract, muddy water usually, we did not even use any alum or anything. Just need to get your water settling straight away. Good luck in your search for a solution to a problem that does not exist.
That is how we did it also, on many rivers, Yampa, Cat, Deso, North Platte, Green, Westwater, etc. Of course, something it left a pumpkin flavor.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I could give a hoot where you guided and how you operate your trips.

I asked for information and I got it. Thanks to the Mt Buzz folks who offer solutions to questions

All you are doing is wasting time attempting to tell me how to clear up water like you do, I do not care how you cleared your water. I have tried all the ways you mention. I asked if there was a better way. Looks like there may be and I will try it. This is my last post to waste on you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts