Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a few friends down the Snake in a 14' paddle raft in a few weeks, and we're planning on putting on at Deadman's Bar and taking out at Moose, out east of Jenny Lake. I'm an experienced rafter and whitewater canoeist, but am a little concerned at the description of log jams. Sounds like it may be a braided river with difficulty in getting through some channels, too.

I'd appreciate info any of you have who have run the stretch and what we might expect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
That stretch will be changing daily during June with amount of snow melt expected. The first few miles is strait forward with an obvious main channel. Soon you will have several braids to choose from. The best bet is to follow the channel with the most water because it is less likely to have river wide wood. That section is heavily used by outfitters so you could always follow one of them down as well. Beautiful stretch of river.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
I have not been on that stretch in years -- though experienced folks run it all the time.
As you may be aware, there were some fatalities there a few years ago -- commercial customers taking what is marketed as a "scenic float" (which some read as "safe" vs. other marketed "whitewater adventures" in the area -- still some lawsuits going on about that I think). If I recall, there was a new-that-day strainer in a narrow channel (did not fully block the channel but it came up qick and was not avoided). Such fatalities are extremely rare however, so don't let that necessarily discourage you. As I said, folks do it all the time. Very up to the minute beta (especially as flows are coming up) would be ideal -- but where to get such beta? I don't think the park service was aware of the strainer until after the accident. Wouldn't hurt to call them anyway on the day of the trip I suppose.
(If you really wanted to be cautious, you could go to Plan B run the stretch just above that -- Pacific Ck. to Deadman's Bar -- it is very beautiful though not quite as close (even with) the central part of the Teton Range -- that section, I'm on many times per season -- there is a bit of braiding in the latter third or so, but picking the channels with the most flow will take care of you easily.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much to both of you for your input. We may play it by ear when we get there. I did find some videos of that area, and the water does look very fast for not being whitewater.
 

·
fast eddy
Joined
·
4 Posts
I have run that stretch a number of times and would want you to just be prepared. 90% will be just enjoy the beauty the other 10% will have you a aware and with a line and a good hand at the bow and the stern. I have come around a corner to confront a strainer and needed to get a hand onshore and then line the boat back around the corner.
Come and enjoy Jackson and while here for sure run the canyon, it is a great run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input, fast eddy. We'll see how we feel when we get there, but the comments on here have been very helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Did it last year - beautiful. Other than the park stuff. You have to have the invasive species inspection for that part of the river.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should have invasives stickers for the state. Grand Teton adds a park service permit.
We've run a lot of the North Plate over the years and know about the invasive sticker. I've already bought the sticker and am planning on stopping at the state line to get the inspection. I guess we can get the GTNP permit when we get there. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got back from the trip to Grand Teton. Thanks to all the info you all gave me, we had a wonderful float. It was running about 8 k at Moose, and there had been a few channel "blowouts" that morning just above Moose, according to a couple of guides who were taking out at Moose, so we decided to run the Pacific to Deadman's in a paddle raft. Good flow, about 5 mph. Very easy to avoid the wood. Afternoon had a fair amount of headwind, so everyone pretty tired at the end, but all grateful for the experience. Watched a pair of osprey engage in an aerial battle with a bald eagle for an extended period. Pretty wild.

Thanks for your input, john, mt and fast eddy.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top