Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for something between a Class I float to a Class III, where the changing of the colors is really highlighted?

I'm thinking Pumphouse or below. Maybe the White. Do either of these have especially nice views/sections? North Platte sections that may still have enough water?

Looking for suggestions in Colorado, Wyoming and possibly New Mexico.

Thanks

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
Best I've ever seen was mid-Oct Gates of Lodore. Cottonwods, not Aspens, but still spectacular.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Summit County colors are firing....

Lower Blue has a fare amount of Aspens, little low right now but doable. SUP or Boating on Dillon Res right now is awesome with the colors going off, I know its still water but still awesome visuals. Also hike up Mtn Royal or Mtn Bike up Peaks trial is also sweet...

TMCK

Keep The Hairy Side Up......

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh . . . I say float, but I mean float in my kayak. As in, I'm lazy and don't work too hard and mostly float, paddle only when needed. :D

Pics look great. Still trying to figure out where to go, but I love the suggestions so far.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Many people in the Ark Valley consider Pine Creek to be III+/IV- at current flows....and I was just putting it out there as an option.....it's better than any suggestions you provided.

Speaking of suggestions, another good option for getting on flatwater to look at the leaves is Twin Lakes Reservoir. You can paddle across the lake to the old resort site of Interlaken which is renovated and open to the public. From the shores you are surrounded by mixed slopes that get very colorful, including the flanks of our state's highest mountain, Elbert.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah Suzpollon, Upper C would be a solid choice. For the most plentiful and diverse vegitation, try Catamount to Dotsero. If your intrested in abit of action hit up a few shoshone laps after the float. The best of both! Or check out the Gunnison River between Escalante & Whitewater.

·
Super Moderator
2,876 Posts
Rafting I assume, since you said float?....

If your in a kayak, the Ark is going off right now....like peaking today.

Here is a link to some pictures from last season right about this time on the Numbers:

Fall Color “ELF” Boating on the Numbers » Kayak » Nature » Outdoors » Photo Gallery » Play » Live from South Main

Pine Creek, #4 to Railroad (or Miner's Camp) and the Fractions above Frog Rock are beautiful and still run-able right now.
Sweet ELFing pics.

Not for this thread but I have done some extreme ELFing and just now realized it. Gotta look for pics.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Lower Frying Pan in A-Town is STILL @ 300 daily, been a great late season flow, and today the colors were seriously popping off the entire run, lots of bright yellow aspens. git sum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts