Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. The Colorado - Gore Canyon will be a deranged frothy chocolate mess more similar to a sea than a river.
2. The Eagle - If you've never hit the Dowd at peak, or Vail to Avon its a wild big water ride. Little boat, big waves.
3. Homestake/ Gilman - concerned about fitting under the Gilman Railroad bridges? You know its on!
4. The W Fork Clear Creek / Woody Creek - long manmade slide and waterfalls. Coors Falls, Z Gorge - scary when its cranking.
5. Royal Gorge on the Ark - Only done it once, wasn't big. This year though.....
Getting psyched for a big water summer. Thank you Ullr!

·
Registered
861 Posts
And, we might also see Big Sur come in!!!

The Royal Gorge is soooo much fun at high water. The surf is amazing!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only been in there a touch above 2500. It was rad. 15'-20 foot waves. did it again a few days after discovering how fun it is. Very large from a ww standpoint, more like being in S. America and kayaking than the usual CO scene. Will go in higher this year if the river gods permit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, here's a few more...

1. Encampment bigger is better on this one :)

2. Upper Blue this one doesn't get a lot of water very often and with Lake Dillon still nearly full we can hope for a couple thousand in it this spring

3. Yampa Wanna see god at Cross Mountain Gorge?

·
Registered
499 Posts
maybe we should start a betting pool, peak flow Colorado River near Kremmling (gauge is right before the first rapid in Gore canyon...) My guess is going to be 6 grand :twisted:

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have seen video of Jamie Simon runnign gore at 12,000(i think). It was very high water. She went into Gore and when she came out she did not have a helmet on. I'm not posotive about the flow but it was huge.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
the area around cb has been quietly collecting a good amount of snow. look for all the upper gunny areas to be running good. same with the north fork gunny runs. lake fork basin has been missed a bunch this year, and the long term forecast doesnt look good for the Juans. yampa is going to be insane for sure. anyone want to take bets on what cross mtn tops out at

·
Registered
709 Posts
Running water at that level is all about knowing where the big ass holes are and avoiding and/or plugging them with a vengence. I've run some really big shit at high cfs and it's all the same. Avoid the shit that will kill anything and hope that your technique and skill will bring you through the really hard/crazy shit. I hop I still have the balls to fire up the big water shit. Big water is a whole different thing than big creeks. I almost drowned last year on a river that was at 40k cfs that normally runs at 250cfs. It was sketch none the less.

Scott

·
Registered
709 Posts
Shoulda seen the big boy that tried to drown me last year. The river normally is class 3-4 @ 400 cfs. It was 40,000 cfs.

Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you guys wanna train for big water just come out here to Idaho! A few runs down the N. Fork of the Payette will have you ready to fire it up! Hope you guys in Colorado have a sweet season!

·
Registered
54 Posts
lets see some of that footage of running gore at 12,000! i want to see what that would look like, even better i want to see what it would look like with someone running the shit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
for all you FR's out there..

Loveland has had 400 inches of snowfall so far and basin wide snow pack is at 177%. Clear Creek > 1000CFS?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts