Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to be able to fit my head into the sweet strutter helmet. Before buying over thanksgiving I made sure the vendor would be good about swapping things out over fit so I'm good their, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same issues:

I have the M/L strutter and it seems to fit great everywhere except my temples. At my temples it feels like someone installed torture screws. This is after 10-15 minutes of wearing it in the house. I have a 23" head which puts me right at the tail end of the M/L size and a tad below the L/XL.

Anyone else had similar fit problems that were corrected moving a size up or is my head just not "sweet" shaped? It's a real bummer because the older model I tried (before the rear retention stuff was added) fit perfect.

Bp

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm currently writing a review of the 2014 Strutter but it won't be out for a few more days so here is the short version regarding fit:

I have a 22.6 inch head, so just a little smaller than yours. The M/L Sweets fit my head shape/size really well. Much to my dismay, Sweet sent me an L/XL to test this summer. Surprisingly, I was able to achieve a pretty darn good fit with very little effort. I just put the big fit pad in and tightened the rear ratchet system down all the way and had a decent fitting helmet with just a tad bit of wiggle room. I'm a big fan of the rear retention system because it prevents the helmet from being pushed up over my forehead all the time if I flip over in fast moving water or while surfing a play feature. It still does get pushed back a bit sometimes but it's now much improved.

I did have the same problem you are describing while wearing a Sweet Wanderer from two seasons back. I pushed through the pain and stopped feeling the temple pressure after 5-6 days on the water. I'm pretty sure the foam inner liner compressed a little bit over time, leading to a looser fit.

I'd say just go try the L/XL to see if you end up with too much wiggle room or if you can get an acceptable fit.

If you can't get it to sit right then check out the WRSI Trident, which has a different fit/shape. It has a nice sun brim and lightweight feel. Maybe it will fit you better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm currently writing a review of the 2014 Strutter but it won't be out for a few more days so here is the short version regarding fit:

I have a 22.6 inch head, so just a little smaller than yours. The M/L Sweets fit my head shape/size really well. Much to my dismay, Sweet sent me an L/XL to test this summer. Surprisingly, I was able to achieve a pretty darn good fit with very little effort. I just put the big fit pad in and tightened the rear ratchet system down all the way and had a decent fitting helmet with just a tad bit of wiggle room. I'm a big fan of the rear retention system because it prevents the helmet from being pushed up over my forehead all the time if I flip over in fast moving water or while surfing a play feature. It still does get pushed back a bit sometimes but it's now much improved.

I did have the same problem you are describing while wearing a Sweet Wanderer from two seasons back. I pushed through the pain and stopped feeling the temple pressure after 5-6 days on the water. I'm pretty sure the foam inner liner compressed a little bit over time, leading to a looser fit.

I'd say just go try the L/XL to see if you end up with too much wiggle room or if you can get an acceptable fit.

If you can't get it to sit right then check out the WRSI Trident, which has a different fit/shape. It has a nice sun brim and lightweight feel. Maybe it will fit you better.
Well I guess I'll give the bigger noggin a try. I know I won't be able to fit a skull cap under the one I have now for example, even if I did get used to the brain squishing.

It's funny you mention the WRSI trident. I bought one of those for my wife at the same time and even though her head is 21.5" and mines 23" that helmet fits us both perfectly. If the bigger strutter doesn't work I'll be going to the WRSI.

Thanks!

Bp

·
Registered
212 Posts
Its a got a great deal to do with the shape of your head. I much prefer the Strutter over the Rocker etc as I sit right on the border line between sizes. The M/L is great for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts