Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried any of the fitness bands while kayaking? Thinking about getting one but wondering how well they track. I'd like one that tracks hr but can't find a waterproof one other than the run watches that are more for steps and distance. I've looked at the Jawbone up3 but it's not out yet obviously and none of the fitbits are water proof. Any thoughts or input appreciated!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
133 Posts
Fitbits are water resistant to 5 ATM. You wont get "waterproof" in this device class.

How bad are your swims?. 5 atmospheres of pressure is 50 meters down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The flex is that water resistant but it has no hr monitor.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do you even internet?
Fitbit Official Site for Activity Trackers & More
The Charge HR and the Surge have hr.

I'm not a FitBit owner, I've been looking at them. Look at microsoft band, basis peak, and fitbit surge. All have GPS and hr monitoring.

But I wonder how the optical HR monitor works when wet. It may not.
Your better off, if HR matters to you when kayaking, getting a chest strap setup. At that point you should just get a bluetooth chest strap, put the phone in a pelican, and don't swim.

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
I'm using a Spire. It tracks breathing and calculates breathe per minute and can track steps taken. It can tell when you are calm, tense, focused. They do not give an IP rating for water or dust, but do say that it is splash proof. Downside: have to have iOS device (Android soon) and you probably want a drysuit and a Seidio Obex or LifePooof case for your phone if you are going to paddle with it. As far as what I am leaning from it, I think it is a great wearable.

·
Registered
140 Posts
fitbit

My wife has a fitbit. She went swimming in the ocean with hers and it died. She tried drying it out in rice and nothing worked.

They sent her a new one. Good customer service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@desertsherpa Do you even read?
The charge hr and surge have hr monitors but they recommend taking it off when you shower and state they are not for use when swimming, pretty sure that'd include kayaking as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@brendodendo I haven't heard of the spire but that does sound nice, I don't have an iPhone sadly so depending on when the android software is set to come out that one may not be an option for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Fitbit Surge is water resistant to 5 ATM, or 50 meters, and Fitbit Charge HR is water resistant to 1 ATM, or 10 meters. This means the trackers can be submerged and will still work when removed from the water. However, this does not mean the trackers can withstand the force associated with swimming strokes, so as mentioned previously we don't recommend swimming with the trackers. "

1 - 9 of 9 Posts