Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One more question..actually two..

plan to throw and swing some big streamers along the way..wondered if any experienced folks had feedback on the quality of fishing on the Yampa..hatches? big browns?

Also..there are a couple of no shows..all paperwork submitted..and wondered if name changes were common or not..and if so ..i have a couple of spots open..if not ..no big deal.

·
FISHTARD
74 Posts
Yampa

Bump.

I have always wanted to floatfish the Yampa but know 0 about it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
what section are talking about? lots of water on the yampa.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Assume you mean through the monument. I'm sure there's the occasional brown in there ,but you may want to target the pike and smallmouth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Deerlodge to Split Mt...thought it may be too high..but ya never know..Im bringing a flyrod and maybe svn a travel spinning rod..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh..good deal..smallmouth and pike..that would be nice to catch a few..will bring the smallie flies..nice thanks!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Might depend on if you want to buy a CO or Utah license or both. A lot of people will wait and fish the area around Jones Hole, that creek and the Green right below it hold nice trout. The Yampa as a fishery is generally considered a long way upstream from there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
47 Posts
I fished the Yampa trough the monument when I was young. Loads of Channel Cats and Suckers. And the occasional endangered species. The only trout will be at Jones Hole. The bottom of the creek in the river or up the creek. Jones is on the Utah side of the monument. Check the fishing regs. They are the same as the section below the damn. The fishing is artificial only.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,466 Posts
Take your creek rod and plan on spending as much time at Jones hole as possible. The non anglers in the group can take a great hike and you can catch lots of trout in a tiny little creek. I like a 6ft 2 wt. Lots of overhanging brush so shorter the better. If the hoppers and/or cicadas are out, use those. If not, a 12/14 royal coachman has never disappointed. Ive caught 2 inch trout on a 1 inch hopper, and then a 20 inch trout right behind it. Double ups are common..... if you're doubled up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Chartreuse and white clousers for smallmouth and pike in the main Tampa down there. Some bright and flashy articulated streamers if you don't have clousers. Bang the banks and strip them back to the boat. Vary your retrieve. No trout down there.

Sent from my Z970 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 12 of 12 Posts