Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
14' raft, plan on gear pile in back, cooler under rower, two passengers in NRS swivel fishing seats up front. ? I'd read here somewhere that these seats weren't rated for class III. Feedback needed. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I do not trust swivel seats the design is weaker than a non swivel. But the biggest problem is with the seats you can not lock in place (so they can not rotate). Your passengers can be thrown side to side as the seats rotate when the raft is bouncing side to side. It should be hot enough in July that the swim will be fun.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Suppose i could add a grab strap or something. Any chance the ranger will say "you can't use those on this trip" ?

·
Registered
796 Posts
You’ll be fine taking them and the ranger won’t care.* The rating is just letting you know that they are made of plastic and aren’t that tough.** If weight is getting thrown around on one and the person is counting on the seat base to hang onto, it might not hold.* The backs of those seats are particularly prone to break, snap off backwards, or lose the peg that holds it on.** It’s just not a solid seat to be going through a rapid in.* **But it’s Lodore, you’ll probably be fine.

We usually use those folding stadium/crazy creek type soft chairs up front.* Then you can have the backrest for slow sections and just sit on them folded or stash them through bigger water.***

·
Registered
536 Posts
yeah, i wouldn't over think it too much. i've run both bow and stern swivel seats on the MFS, Selway, Hells Canyon, Browns Canyon,blah,blah,blah. just tell the people to hold on to the frame in rapids, not the seat. and that said, i've never had a seat break off. keep an eye on the mount screws from the swivel into the seat though. i have had them loosen up over a trip.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I agree with the posters who say don't sweat it. I have run my cat for 15 years through everything including class V with passengers on NRS swivel seats. Never a problem. I do like to give them a short rope or cooler strap to hang on to (no loops) but otherwise it's a hell of a ride and comfortable

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with the posters who say don't sweat it. I have run my cat for 15 years through everything including class V with passengers on NRS swivel seats. Never a problem. I do like to give them a short rope or cooler strap to hang on to (no loops) but otherwise it's a hell of a ride and comfortable
That's what I was thinking about, tying a rope around the bar with a knot on the end to grab on to. No loops.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If it's in the front they can always just kneel down into the bow for anything real hairy. Fwiw, I've personally witnessed people get dumped from those seats failing either on the backrest or a snapped mount. Ymmv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts