Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For multi-day rafting trips on a fully loaded rig: I have two young kids who love to fish (spinner rods + lures). When they are not using their rods, I am constantly getting annoyed at where to (safely) store these damn things on the raft. While I've seen several rod management systems discussed in threads here about fly rods, I wonder if any buzzards has a good system to keep spinner rods organized/managed on raft when not in use. Ideas? Systems?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
this may not be the answer you are looking for but on such trips I have gone away from the traditional spinning rod.. I bought a couple Emmrods, they break down really small and even fully assembled i can drop them in my captains bag or throw them in the dry box.. They are really strong i left mine on my boat and closed the tip in the dry box and latched it... didn't realize until the next morning and it was fine.. They are fun little rods and you can really cast and catch big fish with them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Those Emmrods look pretty cool. Another option is to pick up a couple of inexpensive telescoping rods. You can keep the lure rigged while the rod is collapsed and you should be able to find a spot to tuck them when not in use.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
kids they do the darndest things.

For multi-day rafting trips on a fully loaded rig: I have two young kids who love to fish (spinner rods + lures). When they are not using their rods, I am constantly getting annoyed at where to (safely) store these damn things on the raft. While I've seen several rod management systems discussed in threads here about fly rods, I wonder if any buzzards has a good system to keep spinner rods organized/managed on raft when not in use. Ideas? Systems?

Thanks!
I have used these for years both with kids and adults, they work great on a raft or any where, great spinning rods. They come in all price ranges 12 bucks to 40 bucks. But they all seem to still be able to step on or sit on my favorite fly rods though, that don't telescope

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same issue, here is what I did, a couple of LoPros and a short section of frame tube. I had DRE cut it out and they put on the piping. Obviously there are places you need to store them, when your fishing close to shore, with overhanging trees.
I like this system. Are the tops of these sections of pipe lined with some gasket? I see there is a black lining on the opening section of the pipe. Is this to cover the exposed cut pipe section? Also, how did DRE secure teh piping to the LoPro?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is a better close up pic. It some kind of black rubber piping they had there at the shop. 1/4" rubber fuel hose would work too, but you don't really need it. The only part that touches the fly reel is the very bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’ve never been a fan of rods sticking straight up. They always seem to be in the way of casting.
I use the NRS clamp with the utility mount to mount my Scotty rod holders to. I have four of them on the back and two in the bow. Extra rods get strapped to the frame in hard cases.
Crazy, I know, but I have issues...

·
Registered
154 Posts
PVC

I just use some short lengths of pvc pipe duct taped together like a pan pipe and then a little elastic band to tuck over the reels. I can strap it in anywhere, usually near the back of the frame, tucked next to rocket boxes. The game changers are these metal mesh sleeves ("rod socks") that slide over the whole pole and keep everything from getting tangled. None of it would survive a flip but they are usually out of the way.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I saw this a while back on this site. It shows fly rods but could be made for spinning tackle. I saved the picture as a good low cost solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
agree, dsrtrat. I was going to suggest PVC tubes, or poly tubes if they need to follow the curve of the boat. You can also rig them under the frame tubes to get them a little more out of the way or to run under sideboards/tables.

I like that closed end/bungee retainer.

·
Registered
365 Posts
PVC works well and you can heat gun in and bend to follow the curve of your tubes if you are in a round boat. Fill with sand and bend around an old tire if you want it to look nice. If you don't care, skip the sand step. You'll get some fold on the inside of the curve but it works fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you've been to DRE then you probably have seen their rod holders that attach to the frame and hang below it on the side. I have two on one side and my spare oar on the other. They are expensive but I have nice fly rods so worth it. They should work for spinning rods as well as fly rods. You could make one yourself out of PVC and I see lots of these on the river as well. The key is to cut out a section to allow reel to seat.

The solution with rods in the vertical position is actually a pretty good idea IF you are going to be using casting rods instead of fly rods. Chances to get tangled while casting are still possible but much less than when using a fly rod. If you move to fly fishing, anything in the vertical will eventually get you in trouble. The only other issue with vertical holders are the wind (last weekend on the CO for example) and any overhanging trees or bushes when you get close to the bank.

Finally, great job getting kids involved in fishing. Takes lots of patience but well worth the effort. I recognize the entrance to Lower Gore Canyon. Nice fish!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I REALLY like Scotty rod holders. NRS makes a clampit attachment for them. On my Recretec frame, which has 1" by 2" square tubing, I bought the Scotty rail attachment, and some 3 inch machine screws, and they fit perfect. I've run class IV with rods in the Scotty holders w/o problems. I like the Scotty's because the rods are always handy when you want them, but secure and mostly out of the way when you don't. I run 2 holders front and 2 rear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts